Peak Publications Society board meeting agenda

0
494

Peak Publications Society Board of Directors Meeting Agenda

June 18, 2015

The Peak Offices

Chair: Max Hill

In attendance:

Editor-in-Chief, Max Hill

Collective Representative, Melissa Roach

At-Large Representative, Natalie Serafini

Employee Representative, Katherine Gillard

Maia Odegaard (Board Secretary, non-voting)

1. Approval of Agenda
  2. Approval of past minutes from May 21, 2015
  3. Investment update
    Maia to report on the status of the Society’s investments.  See appendix A.
  4. Financial update
    Maia Odegaard to summarize the Society’s finances through May 31, 2015. See appendix B.
  5. 50th anniversary  update

Maia and Katherine to update the Board on The Peak’s 50th anniversary reunion plans.

1.  Election of new collective representative

Leah Bjornson has now officially resigned from The Peak Board of Directors. Max will bring up the election of a new collective representative on The Peak’s week 8 collective meeting, to be elected at the week 9 meeting on Wednesday, July 1.

• Adjournment

____________

Peak Publications Society Board of Directors Meeting Minutes

May 21, 2015, 5:00 p.m.

The Peak offices

In attendance:

Editor-in-Chief, Max Hill

Board Secretary, Maia Odegaard (non-voting)

Guest, Brad McLeod

Regrets:

Collective Representative, Leah Bjornson

• Called to order: 5:04 p.m.
  • Approval of agenda

Melissa/Natalie

• Approval of meeting minutes from April 30, 2015

Melissa/Natalie

• Investment update

Maia Odegaard outlined the Society’s investment account growth, with the overall portfolio value having gone up year to date, but the Market value having gone down $4,085.31 since March 31, 2015.

• Financial update

Maia presented the final budget outcome from the spring semester, with the total revenue $4,767.88 higher than predicted, even though student assessments were $5,944.38 lower than projected. Total expenses were $12,818.57 under budget, despite improper budgeting for the Associated Collegiate Press conference, as the prices were quoted in USD.

• Website update

The company contracted to restore the-peak.ca’s database, Raize, seemed to have hit a wall in regards to getting the site back up and running, so Maia asked David Proctor, creator of the WordPress theme and former Business Manager, to step in and complete the task.

• Contributor pay policy amendment

Humour Editor, Jacey Gibb, asked that the Board approve an amendment to the current contributor pay policy as outlined below:

Be it resolved to amend the “Contributor Pay Policy” document, items 2. b) ii and iii to read:

iiI. “$20 per simple illustration, graphic, ​ or single panel comics generally defined as those taking less than an hour to produce;”

1. “$30 for all other illustrations, graphics​, or multi-panel comics​​”​

​Whereas the current pay policy doesn’t specifically include comics, but the current rate is $10 per comic without taking size thereof into consideration.​

Whereas comic artists can spend multiple hours on one comic and the remuneration should ​reflect both the size of the end result and the effort put into it.

Melissa/Katherine

All in favour

• Board meeting time for the summer semester

The Board will meet on the third Thursday of each month at 5:00 p.m. during the summer semester, unless otherwise decided upon to accommodate everyone’s schedule. This meeting time will be posted in the Classifieds section of The Peak on Monday, May 25, 2015.

• Reunion update

Maia and Katherine Gillard, The Peak’s Promotions Coordinator, have been working steadily on plans for the 50th anniversary reunion celebration. The Highland Pub has been booked for Thursday, August 13, and Katherine is in contact with the pub’s manager regarding menu options for a BBQ and whether we’d like to have the event held on the patio or inside the pub. The T-shirt design contest is currently ongoing until June 5th, and once we have received all submissions, we can vote on a winning design. The invite list made up of past Peakies currently has approximately 60 email addresses and counting. We should be sending out a hard invite in the next few weeks.

• Board representative for Tartan hiring panel

The Board appointed Melissa Roach as its representative on the Tartan hiring panel.

• Addition from Max: hiring stipend for the Tartan

Max Hill proposed that those involved in hiring the three staff members for the pilot magazine project, the Tartan, receive a hiring stipend similar to that alotted to the hiring panel for The Peak editors: $50 for The Peak’s EIC, $200 for the Managing Editor of the Tartan, and $0 for the Board Representative. These funds will be taken from The Peak’s wage budget.

Natalie/Melissa

All in favour

• Adjournment 5:30 p.m.

Approved by ________________________________ & __________________________________ on April 9, 2015.