Jagmeet Singh comes to Burnaby Clubs Days

1
724
Jagmeet Singh (right) controls a robot created by the Vex Tech club as the club’s president, Avneet Singh Sekhon looks on. (Alex Bloom / The Peak)

By: Alex Bloom

On January 17, Federal NDP Party Leader Jagmeet Singh visited Burnaby Clubs Days at SFU. This comes amidst a by-election for the Burnaby South electoral district, in which Singh is aiming to win a seat in the House of Commons.

At Clubs Days, Singh met SFU students, visited club tables, spoke to them one-on-one, and took photos with them. When asked about his goal in coming to campus and what he wanted to accomplish for students, Singh told The Peak that he wanted to hear what students had to say.

“I always like to take an opportunity to spend time with students and hear their concerns. And so I’ve been hearing folks talk about access to public transit, the cost of tuition, student housing, and how they’re worried about finding a place to live, and the environment. I think those are the biggest things that I heard about.”

Singh went on to say “…students want to see our country, Canada, do more to invest in green energy to transition to a sustainable future. So these are some of the things I heard today, and I’m really excited every time I get a chance to hear young people tell me their ideas.”

After speaking with The Peak, Singh went on to meet more students in the crowded halls of the AQ.

The SFU NDP club was also present and posted on Facebook later that day to show their support for Singh.

“It was a pleasure to have Jagmeet Singh come up to SFU today for our clubs day and help us represent the NDP,” the post read. “He showed true passion for people of all nationalities, ethnicity and religions by stopping at every table and talking to students.”

For any students who would like to meet more politicians, the SFU NDP club will be hosting a pub night at Club Ilia on Jan. 24 at 6:30 p.m. Katrina Chen, MLA of the Burnaby—Lougheed electoral district, will be attending.