World News Beat

Bite-sized news from around the world

0
484

RUSSIA – Hundreds arrested as city-wide protests transpire

Anti-corruption demonstrations were met with hundreds of arrests after police apprehended huge clusters of protesters across Russian cities, including Moscow and St. Petersburg. The incidents happened while celebrations for Russia Day, the country’s national holiday, were being held. The rallies were sparked when corruption allegations against Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev surfaced. The protests were incited by opposition leader Alexei Navalny, who has repeatedly criticized Russian officials through YouTube and other online channels. Navalny was apprehended and detained in his home before he could join the Moscow rally.

With files from BBC News.

UNITED STATES – Trump’s travel ban blocked by court (again)

American court judges have backed a Hawaii ruling preventing the implementation of US President Donald Trump’s travel ban. The ban, which would deny entry to travellers coming from six predominantly Muslim countries, has been revised in the past, only to be blocked several times by court verdicts. US attorney general Jeff Sessions and White House press secretary Sean Spicer have voiced their disagreement with the ruling. Spicer hinted that the appeal court’s ruling on the ban may be later challenged in Supreme Court.

With files from BBC News.

GREECE – Massive earthquake devastates Greek island

A 6.3 magnitude earthquake struck the island of Lesbos in Greece this week. The island’s infrastructure suffered damage while in Vrisa village, ten people were hospitalized after the incident. Vrisa’s population is reported to have taken refuge in tents or hotels. The tremors were also felt in the Turkish city of Istanbul and the Greek capital of Athens. Neither countries are strangers to earthquakes, as fault lines run through the area.

With files from BBC News.

CENTRAL AMERICA – Panama angers Taiwan by switching diplomatic loyalty to China

Panama terminated its diplomatic ties with Taiwan this week and officially formed an economic relationship with China. Though Taiwan considers itself independent, China views the state as a “breakaway province,” according to BBC News. A Taiwanese official said they felt “bullied” by the decision to form the alliance with another country. China, on the other hand, has embraced the decision. Through its Panamanian ties, China can gain greater access to the Panama Canal trade route.

With files from BBC News.