Grand Theft Auto V: a review

0
507

GTA5

The Grand Theft Auto franchise has always been a haven for controversy, innovation, and ambition. Creating a world where a player can roam freely and participate in nearly any illegal activity that they can think of is what has made the series so popular, but it’s also what has spawned the most public outcry.

Grand Theft Auto V still provides plenty of reasons to get the pitchforks out, but the offbeat, tongue-in-cheek humour that the series is known for helps to alleviate the offensiveness and create a biting satire of America, as well as a pretty great game.

With any Grand Theft Auto, the focus is generally on one protagonist and his rise within the criminal underworld. Right out of the gate, GTA V changes up the formula by having three protagonists, each with their own character arcs and unique personalities. The three leads (Michael, Franklin and Trevor) all have one thing in common: they are destined to a life of crime.

Michael gets out and is brought back in; Franklin aspires to make something of himself outside of gangbanging; and Trevor is an uncontrollable, unstable psychopath. The chemistry between the three is electric, and the three-person narrative comes together to form an interesting, cohesive story that stands above many of the other games released during this console cycle.

The mechanics of the game have not changed much since Grand Theft Auto IV, but there are some noteworthy additions and tweaks that make the game more engaging than previous iterations. Most satisfying for myself is the driving, which has become less realistic, but more fun as a result. Another new aspect is the ability to switch between the three main characters at any time off-mission, with certain missions being tailored to specific characters.

Each character also has his own special ability (i.e Trevor can take inhuman amounts of damage) which makes the game a bit too easy. The forgiveness in GTA V can really be felt in the implementation of checkpoints during missions which means no more having to replay a mission from the very beginning again.

By going for a less realistic approach, Rockstar has eliminated a lot of the difficulty in the game, which is both welcoming for those who could never finish the games, and infuriating for those who want a challenge.

Main missions aside, GTA V should be able to attract new players to the series with its inclusion of plenty of extracurricular activities like golfing, tennis, drag racing, hunting, and more, as well as instant access to the entire map of Los Santos. There is no limit to what you can do in GTA V. The colourful cast and narrative will keep some intrigued, but the massive scope of the game will prevent many players from progressing through the story, as they drive through Los Santos simply admiring the far-reaching vistas.