SFU volleyball falls short on road

0
671

After a breakthrough non-conference season the Clan women’s volleyball team struggled to get things going in their Great Northwest Athletic Conference (GNAC) openers, in Montana and Seattle.

The SFU ladies opened strong in their first game, taking the first set against Seattle Pacific University, 25–16. Unfortunately, they would not be able to hold the momentum, dropping the next three sets straight. Aggressive play by left side Kelsey Robinson and libero Alanna Chan with 14 kills and 13 digs in the game respectively, put the Clan within striking distance in the fourth set but they ultimately dropped the match 3–1.

The game also saw the return of sophomore setter Tamara Nipp who was injured in the non conference season and recorded 12 assists in the match. Her return allowed the team to play a 6–2 rotation as opposed to the 5–1 they had been running with a sole setter.

After winning five straight to go 5–1 in the non-conference season, the loss was a disappointing way to open the conference schedule, but the team showed improved poise and confidence from the past few seasons, battling for every point.

Two days after the loss to SPU, the Clan visited Montana State University-Billings, who proved even tougher competition beating the visitors in three straight sets.

Robinson again led the Clan’s effort with 10 kills while Chan recorded eight digs. Transfer setter Brooklyn Gould-Bradbury had 42 assists between the two matches working in tandem with Nipp.

“We are still coming together and that takes time,” said Chan following the team’s return to Burnaby. “It’s important after a loss like that to have a short memory as our assistant coach Kim [Stonehouse] always tells us. We just need to focus on the next games and the new scenarios they will bring.”

Looking ahead, the ladies will be focusing on recording their first conference win of 2013, as they aim to improve on their dismal record from last year.

“It’s great having our new coaching staff, Gina has so much experience playing as well as coaching and connects very well with us,” continued Chan. “After the weekend she didn’t make us feel bad about the games but encouraged us to focus and prepare on the battles ahead.”

The Clan return home to host three games at the West Gym before hitting the road again as the quest for the season’s first GNAC win continues.