New Music Friday

1
639
(Linda Shu / The Peak)

“Kisela” – Vanessa Mdee, Mr. P

Edna Batengas: I’ve been team Vee Money since like forever. Her voice is just something else, so pleasant to listen to, such smooth vocals. You go, girl, reppin’ East Africa! Never heard of Mr. P but he sounds great on this track.

Neil MacAlister: Getting Shakira vibes here. I like it.

Sera Akdogan: This is such a fun song. Love it. 

“Learn To Let Go” – Kesha

EB: Yaaassssss, I knew it, Kesha is making a comeback. I’m really digging this new Kesha, she seems so much more authentic and raw. I approve!

NM: There’s a degree of triumph and power in Kesha’s new music that makes me really happy. “I’ve been through hell and back” should’ve been the name of her album.

SA: I’m so stoked that Kesha is making music again. I know that she’s come a long way to do this. Though I still don’t think she’s the most talented female artist out there, props to Kesha for transcendence, musically and spiritually.

“Sweetest Life” – KWAYE

EB: So mellow and smooth, this song just screams good vibes. I don’t think I’ve come across KWAYE before, but he’s fantastic.

NM: I’m not even sure what era this song is mimicking, but it’s somehow making me nostalgic.

SA: Definitely adding this song to my ‘Slow Jamz’ playlist. It’s so sexy and playful.

“Marmalade” – Macklemore, Lil Yachty

EB: From the get go, I made a mental note to myself to download this song. I mean, how can you not like Macklemore? Oh, and Lil Yachty is pretty cool, too. I think he’s starting to grow on me.

NM: Alright, this song kinda goes. It’s like Broccolli part II. Boat’s features have been a little mediocre lately, but this is the Yachty I fell in love with, and Macklemore’s pretty much embraced how wack he is.

SA: Macklemore needs to stop making music. I feel like he’s trying to get out of one-hit Wonderland and it’s just not working for him.

“Gotta Get A Grip” – Mick Jagger

EB: Oh dear, pardon me, but I didn’t know that Mick Jagger was still alive, let alone still making music. I guess you learn something new every day. Aside from the shock that he’s still alive, I think it’s a great song.

NM: This sounds like Mick Jagger trying to make a political White Stripes song. Of the two mediocre singles he dropped this week, I’d rather listen to “England Lost” for the Skepta verse. But that’s just me.

SA: So I knew that Mick Jagger was still alive and kickin’, but I had no idea he was trying to make music again. This is kind of weird because I feel like I’m in the wrong era or something. Unfortunately, he is not going to do well with the millennials.

“Friendzone” – Sauti Sol

EB: Oh, Sauti Sol, I’ve patiently been waiting for this track. Only they can sing about jumping out of the friendzone and make you completely forget what they’re singing about.

NM: If you’re going to listen to a song called “Friendzone,” listen to Thundercat’s. No offense to Sauti Sol.

SA: This song is hilarious. I’m sure a lot of people can relate . . .

“Watcha Gon’ Do” – Diddy, the Notorious B.I.G, Rick Ross

EB: Meh, nothing special there.

NM: Damn, Rick Ross came through with one hell of a verse. Diddy’s just going to keep recycling Biggie verses until he dies, but whatever. Diddy can pretty much do anything he wants to now. I actually dig this, it’s way better than I expected it to be.

SA: This is kind of fun, but nothing I’ve never heard before at this point.

“Ball Player” – Meek Mill, Quavo

EB: Not a huge fan, but it’s pretty catchy!

NM: One of the least interesting tracks on Meek Mill’s mostly uninteresting new album, but at least Quavo’s going in. I’d rather listen to DC4.

SA: This seems to be pretty generic in terms of what mainstream rap sounds like these days. The lyrics aren’t bad, though, and it’s catchy enough for radio play I guess.

“No Love” – Kevin Gates

EB: Nah, I can’t even get myself to pretend to like this one. It’s kinda boring.

NM: Apparently Kevin Gates’ wife is curating an album of his old material while he’s in jail. I just wish she was picking better songs.

SA: This is just “meh.” The beat is decent but I’m not a fan of his voice overall.

“Bird Brains” – Holy Fuck

EB: Holy Fuck indeed, what did I just listen to?

NM: Wow, haven’t heard from Holy Fuck in a while. This sounds like just about everything they’ve done before, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

SA: Why am I only aware of this group now? This song is super strange, but I can’t seem to turn it off for some reason. It’s like one of those songs you hear on the radio and you’re waiting for something else to happen in the song before you skip it.

“82 Fires” – The East Pointers

EB: Eeeeppppp! I like this one. For some reason it reminds me of The Hobbit soundtrack

NM: “82 Fires,” sounds like the BC’s forests right now, am I right? Real talk though, wildfires are no joke. And what’s up with all these bands coming out of nowhere and dropping Celtic-sounding folk songs?

SA: I thought this was super country-esque at first, and was immediately turned off. But then it got interesting, and I kept listening. I actually don’t mind this song due to its folks-y sound, but I wouldn’t listen to it on my own time.

“In This Party” – Sean Paul, Wayne Wonder

EB: What a great way to end this playlist. It’s a bit more mellow than Sean Paul’s normal stuff, but come on. Who doesn’t love Sean Paul?

NM: Gotta love new Sean Paul. It feels like it’s been ages.

SA: Awesome, another Sean Paul song that I can ridiculously mock for years to come.