World News Beat

Bite-sized news from around the world

0
427

By: Ana Maria Meija-Morales

FRANCE – French candidate charged

François Fillon, candidate for the French presidency has been charged with embezzlement. The charge arrives after weeks of allegations of him paying his wife and children thousands of taxpayer’s euros for fake jobs. Fillon hasn’t stepped down in the presidential race, even after polls show his dramatic descent from front-runner to third place. The presidential race now puts centrist candidate Emmanuel Macron and far-right Marie Le Pen as the favorites amongst the French public. The polls indicate Macron will win the second round, yet analysts warn against early celebration after Britain’s EU exit vote and Donald Trump’s win.

With files from The New York Times and Al Jazeera

MEXICO – Skulls found in Mexico

Two hundred and fifty skulls were dug out in Mexico from what seem to be a drug cartel’s burial pits. The discovery was reported this week, yet the specifics of who discovered the bodies and how long ago are still unclear. Expecting to find more bodies, local authorities continue to dig near the city of Veracruz.

With files from BBC News

NETHERLANDS – Netherlands says ‘no’ to populism.

With populist ideals spreading around the world, the spotlight was turned to the Netherlands this past Wednesday as the Dutch headed to the polls. A relief was felt around the world as Prime Minister (PM) Mark Rutte was re-elected and far-right candidate Geert Wilders was defeated. The PM’s party won 33 out of 150 seats in parliament, making the party the majority. The focus remains in Europe as the French head to the ballots next month, as well as in Germany, where the right wing populist party Alternative for Germany (AfD) is running for seats in parliament.

With files from BBC News

KENYA – Kenya doctors end strike

After 100 days of strike, Kenyan doctors reached an agreement with the government concerning better working conditions and a rise in monthly salary. Doctors will now work for 40 hours per week, previously all doctors were on call, and according to BBC News, will be given an extra $560 to $700 for allowances. Patients have paid the largest toll during this time, many reportedly died due to the strike, and hospitals are now over capacity.

With files from BBC News and Al Jazeera