University Briefs

0
530
The University of Winnipeg is the first university in Canada to require all students to take an indigenous studies course. - Photo courtesy of CBC

UWinnipeg requires students to take indigenous course

[WINNIPEG] — The University of Winnipeg has announced a new requirement for newly admitted students in the 2016–17 school year to take at least one Indigenous studies course.

Two other Canadian universities have taken on similar requirements, but not quite to this extent. The University of Regina requires its students to enroll in an Indigenous class, but only for those in the Faculty of Arts. Thunder Bay, Ontario’s Lakehead University has recently declared that next year all students must take a “minimum of one course with at least 50 per cent Indigenous content.”

With files from CBC News

U of T revises sexual assault policy

[TORONTO] — When a female student of the University of Toronto was sexually assaulted by a male classmate, the school’s counselling and psychological services told her to go to class anyway so as not to let him “win.”

The student reported that this advice left her “totally isolated, alone.” This prompted an in-depth investigation by CBC. The university is now implementing a revised program to better address students who have been sexually assaulted. The program will also feature a greater emphasis on mental health and counselling as a whole.

With files from CBC News

Dal alumnus tears apart degree to protest divestment decision

[HALIFAX] — Dalhousie University’s board of governors voted against divestment from fossil fuels companies one year ago this month.

In response, alumnus Scott Vrooman shredded his master’s degree, expressing his resentment over the decision of his alma mater. Since then, Vrooman has continued with his protest and plans on working alongside a student group called Divest Dal. Vrooman’s goal will be to convince more Dalhousie alumni to join the cause.

With files from The Dalhousie Gazette