University Briefs

0
389

U of S student explores new oral cancer treatment

[SASKATOON] — University of Saskatchewan dentistry student Dania Alkhani is implementing a new approach to oral cancer treatment that uses colon cancer research procedures. She aims to find a non-invasive way of killing oral cancer cells using synthesized drugs.

“We have a compound that is very potent, meaning that it is very effective in terms of killing oral cancer cells. All we have to do now is improve its selectivity,” she explained.

Alkhani will present her team’s research work at the American Dental Association Conference happening in Washington, DC.

With files from The Sheaf

UBC increases international tuition

[VANCOUVER] — UBC announced on October 14 that international tuition fees for most of the programs will increase by 46.8 per cent over the next three years.

These increases are because of a Board of Governors’ intention to keep international fees “at levels that reflect UBC’s standing as a global university and the value of a UBC degree.”

The board also said that the fee increase will “support the mission and excellence of the University,” as well as bring the university in line with international fees at other schools like the University of Toronto and McGill University. The increases are planned to be carried out in three stages.

Current students will not be affected by the tuition hike for the duration of their program, as the hike only applies after they have arrived at UBC. Student consultation will provide feedback for the Board of Governors to review later in the year.

With files from The Ubyssey

New initiative aids engineers getting involved in entrepreneurship

[OTTAWA] — The University of Ottawa’s Faculty of Engineering has just launched a new initiative to support women in computer science and engineering programs. Women’s Startup Network uses peer mentorship to encourage women to pursue entrepreneurial opportunities.

The network was founded by Hanan Anis alongside Catherine Elliott and Catherine Mavriplis and arose from a lack of women in these technical programs.

Mentors will work with 11 students on their projects to further their entrepreneurship and interpersonal communication skills.

“This experience that the program offers is one of a kind,” said mentor Lethania Martinez. She explained the importance of being able to navigate the business world: “technical is not enough anymore. Entrepreneurship is a must, now.”

With files from The Fulcrum