On the road again with SFU men’s hockey

0
409
SFU had a total of 38 penalty minutes on the night.

Through the weekend of October 3, the SFU men’s hockey team went on the road to play against two well-established NCAA Division I hockey programs from Providence College and Northeastern University. While the score lines were not flattering, the team gained valuable experience against some tough competition.

“It’s competitive and fast,” head coach Mark Coletta told The Peak. “Going up against six or seven drafted [NHL] players is a lot different than what we’re used to, so it was an experience.”

Their first game was against the Providence College Friars, the defending NCAA national champions. Despite being the underdogs in the playoff, the Friars ended up winning it all, eliminating eventual second overall pick Jack Eichel in the process. They also featured a number of players drafted by NHL teams, including Mark Jankowski, who selected in the first round by the Calgary Flames in 2012.

SFU got off to a great start when forward Mak Barden scored an early powerplay goal to put the team up 1–0. However, Jankowski scored to tie it all up,w and the Friars didn’t look back from there. They scored eight straight more to take the game to 9–1. Despite the score, Jordan Liem had a fantastic game, making a number of great saves against a talented opposition.

The next day the team played the Northeastern University Huskies. While not the reigning champs, the team featured six NHL draftees, including Adam Gaudette, a fifth round draft choice of the Canucks. Unfortunately SFU couldn’t get the opening goal in this game, as Anaheim Ducks prospect Kevin Roy scored to make it 1–0. Northeastern ended up scoring five straight, only to be interrupted by Mak Barden to make it 5–1. Forward Stephen Ryan made it 8–2 late in the game, but the Huskies added two quick ones to make the final score 10–2.

While the score lines were not flattering, coach Mark Coletta was looking at the process more than the end result.

“[I looked] at mostly our compete level,” said Coletta. “We’re at a different level than these NCAA division I programs, and they play a different style. They play a more in-your-face, pressing system with a lot of quick transition, especially between the defence and the forwards. So hopefully we can take some of these things and use them this upcoming season.

“It’s a great experience,” added Coletta, discussing the trip as a whole. “The facilities and prestige of the programs are something else. It’s all first class — it’s like a mini NHL.”