University Briefs

0
424
Image courtesy of The Fulcrum

Alumni space opens at U of O

[OTTAWA] — Name a famous University of Ottawa alumnus. Who is: Alex Trebek?

The well-known Jeopardy! host spoke at the opening last week for U of O’s first dedicated alumni space on campus.

Funded in part by Trebek’s $2.4 million donation, along with contributions from the Alumni Association, Johnson, Inc., MBNA, Canada Life, and campus faculties, the Alex Trebek Alumni Hall will play host to the Alex Trebek Distinguished Lecture Series.

With files from The Fulcrum

Indigenous language programs expanded at U of S

[SASKATOON] — This fall, students at the University of Saskatchewan will have the opportunity to graduate with a certificate in Indigenous languages.

The two-year certificate program will include 10 courses to prepare students to teach Indigenous languages in a number of different environments.

The program intends to play a role in cultural preservation by putting an end to the loss of Indigenous languages.

With files from The Sheaf

UBC receives $1 million for medicinal marijuana research

[VANCOUVER] — National Green Biomed, a Richmond-based company, is funding the $1 million grant for a study to be conducted by the UBC Division of AIDS and the British Columbia Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS.

Head researcher M-J Milloy hopes the clinical trials enabled by the grant will help to “nail down the effects of marijuana on HIV, to figure out what is behind that mechanism, and to see if there might be clinical benefits.”
With files from The Ubyssey