SFU founding athletic director Lorne Davies passes away at 84

0
604
Davies was inducted into the SFU Sports Hall of Fame in 1986, the Burnaby Sports Hall of Fame in 2009, and the B.C. Sports Hall of Fame in 2010. - Vancouver Sun
Davies was inducted into the SFU Sports Hall of Fame in 1986, the Burnaby Sports Hall of Fame in 2009, and the B.C. Sports Hall of Fame in 2010.  - Vancouver Sun
Davies was inducted into the SFU Sports Hall of Fame in 1986, the Burnaby Sports Hall of Fame in 2009, and the B.C. Sports Hall of Fame in 2010.
– Vancouver Sun

Fifty years after helping launch SFU Athletics, SFU’s founding athletic director and head football coach, Lorne Davies, has passed away.

Davies died on Feb. 27 in St. Paul’s Hospital after suffering from an illness related to his heart and kidneys.

“Lorne meant everything to SFU Athletics — it was his life’s work,” said Milton Richards, SFU’s senior director of athletics and recreation in a statement by SFU Athletics. “We will forever carry his spirit in our hearts every time our student athletes put on the Clan uniform to enter competition,” he said.

Chancellor Gordon Shrum chose Davies to head SFU’s athletics program during the school’s inaugural year, a position he held for 30 years until 1995.

Jason Beck, the curator and facility director of the BC Sports Hall of Fame, commented on the contribution Davies made to BC sports over his lifetime. “The amount of great athletes and coaches [. . .] that have come through SFU, you can’t put a figure on it, it’s probably in the thousands. So [his] impact on Canadian sport is immeasurable,” he said.

Beck got to know Davies over the past few years before his induction into the Hall of Fame in 2010. A former SFU student himself, Beck was struck by Davies’ dignity, positivity, and determination.

“He was very modest,” Beck continued, remembering his first interview with Davies in his office in the AQ. Davies assumed that Beck knew very little about him, and Beck recalls that “he actually gave me a resume, which I thought was kind of cute. I humoured him and looked through it, but a lot of the things on there were well-known.”

Davies chose the original Clan colours — blue, red, and white.

Beck explained that Davies “raised the standard” of athletics at SFU, and in western Canada in general, by hiring full-time coaches for the first time and marketing SFU as a national training centre. Davies also promoted equal opportunities in sports for female athletes, growing the athletic department from three men’s and women’s programs in 1965 — football, basketball and swimming — to 17 programs.

In a more understated way, Davies’ impact can be seen every day at SFU: in the Lorne Davies Complex, which was named after him, and in our school’s colours. Davies chose the original Clan colours — blue, red, and white — and said they represented loyalty, courage, and honesty, respectfully. “Our crest will always be a tribute to Lorne, his values, and his vision,” commented Richards in an official statement.

A man of many accomplishments, Davies was perhaps less well-known for his work on athletic scholarship programs. “It’s kind of taken for granted today that if you’re a university athlete, you get some help,” Beck mused. “Fifty years ago, it was quite the opposite.”

In recent years, Davies championed the Terry Fox Humanitarian Award Program, which aims to honour the spirit of Terry Fox. According to Beck, Davies counselled Fox before and during his Marathon of Hope, and remained involved in the campaign after his passing.

“[Davies’] impact on Canadian sport is immeasurable.”

Jason Beck, curator and facility director, BC Sports Hall of Fame

During this time, Davies became very close with Stan Stewardson, Fox’s basketball coach at SFU. The two worked together for 10 years, and the impact Davies made on Stewardson’s life is exemplified by the letter of support the latter wrote when Davies was to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

“His support never wavered,” Stewardson wrote. “He gave me freedom to run my program. He was my boss, he was my friend. His inspiration, advice, and confidence was always present. [. . .] Psychologically, he’s a genius. He was never defeated and his mental toughness inspired every coach he came into contact with. He set the standard in all of Canada for athletic leadership.

“Lorne Davies is what Simon Fraser Athletics is all about.”