University Briefs

0
466

Former UBC kinesiology professor charged with voyeurism

Former professor of kinesiology at the University of British Columbia, James Rupert, faces charges of voyeurism based on accusations of observing and recording nudity in private places without consent. He began in-court proceedings on August 19 and will appear once more on September 16.

According to UBC spokesperson Lucie McNeill, “The University of British Columbia remains one of the safest academic communities in North America [. . .] We are committed to maintaining a secure and respectful environment for all, and we investigate and address all incidents that threaten the safety of our students, faculty or staff.”

With files from The Ubyssey

Film program at UFV explores First Nations culture

The University of Fraser Valley has recently established a program called the Lens of Empowerment, aimed at using film to celebrate and accurately represent First Nations culture, the Sto:lo nation specifically.

The project not only aims to teach students how to create their own films, but also to change the focus of film as a medium in regards to First Nations representation, which in the past has been stereotypical in nature. These films are meant to promote a more clarified view of the Sto:lo as a diverse culture.

With files from The Cascade

U of T researches link between insomnia and old age

Research from the University of Toronto looks to explain the connection between age and the ability to get a good night’s sleep.

Findings show that the loss of a specific cluster of inhibitory neurons in animals is responsible for sleep disruption. The number of these neurons found in humans decreases with age.

“These findings may one day lead to novel treatments for insomnia and other patterns of sleep disruption in old age, thereby improving quality of life,” said U of T researcher Andrew Lim.

With files from University of Toronto Media Room