Cloudy, with a chance of face

0
501

Since his debut at Music Waste in 2011, Cloudface (aka David Reynolds) has become a figure of local music folklore. With only a handful of releases under the moniker and Vancouver shows a rarity these days, Cloudface’s set at the upcoming New Forms Festival is the perfect chance to remind people why the electronic producer is a Vancouver mainstay.

Though Cloudface is only a couple of years old, Reynolds has been making and experimenting with electronic music for nearly two decades. Originally under the name Eagleroad, Reynolds saw the name change as a chance for a clean slate.

“I was just feeling like it was time to change. I kind of intended to keep both [music projects] going but then never really did [. . .] I just wanted to have a fresh start. I’d been playing shows around town as Eagleroad for a couple years at that point and I wasn’t very proactive with it. Whereas I wanted to start something new and actually be more dedicated towards it.”

For one main difference between Eagleroad and Cloudface, look no further than their discographies. While Reynolds never officially released anything under Eagleroad, Cloudface has enjoyed multiple releases, including one earlier this year. Untitled, a 12-inch from UK sub-label Black Opal, came out in June and was Cloudface’s longest release — a project in the making since 2012.

The resulting seven tracks on Untitled are a fluid groove-train, with Reynolds seamlessly combining ambient sounds with infectious beats keeping time. A perfect soundtrack for any scenario, whether you’re at an after-hours party or in your room trying to finish a paper.

While previous years have found the festivities taking place across the city, 2014 finds all of New Forms Festival taking place under one roof — or should I say dome? “It’s definitely in line with the whole aesthetic of electronic music,” says Reynolds, about the decision to hold this year’s New Forms inside of Science World. “It’s this big geodesic dome, which looks so rad. It’s an icon of the Vancouver skyline, but it also looks super techno, like a spaceship. I’m excited to see how it turns out.”

Being able to read and react accordingly to a crowd is something Reynolds finds very important. With increased recognition and larger venues, Reynolds has found himself on stages almost completely removed from the crowd. One recent example had him 30 feet away from the closest person, something that doesn’t match well with Cloudface’s intimate beats.

“For the kind of music I make, it relies heavily on the connection with the crowd and just getting really deep into whatever vibe of the night is appropriate. You can’t do that if you’re in the middle of a big stage.”

If the music doesn’t speak for itself, consider this: Reynolds is playing his third New Forms Festival in four years — an uncommon feat considering the festival’s tendency to avoid repetition.

“As far as Vancouver music festivals go, [New Forms] is my favourite. They do such a good job and it’s just a good weekend — being a part of it is even more fun than just attending.”

Cloudface performs on September 19 at Science World as part of this year’s New Forms Festival which runs September 18 to 21.