Hiccup and Toothless are back in another animated adventure

0
610

HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2

I have three words to describe this film: short and sweet; any hopeless romantic who enjoys seeing their favourite characters go on new adventures would be satisfied with How To Train Your Dragon 2. For some older audience members, the plot points will seem simple and perhaps predictable, but predictability is hardly a fault with a film intended for a younger audience.

Beyond that, or perhaps in spite of it, the film moves at a reasonably fast pace and offers a fun, well-rounded story. It also displays a larger array of aerial manoeuvres by the dragon riders than in the previous film, and is similarly enhanced by the 3D feature. It’s almost a guilty pleasure — at the end of the day, what’s not to love about dragons and flying?

Much as it was in the first installment, the script is cleverly written and filled with ample moments that balance the comedy and the action; the animation often utilizes foreground and background to balance the two. In one scene, Hiccup (Jay Baruchel) is having a conversation about something relatively serious, while Toothless (Randy Thom) is in the background being bombarded by tiny dragonet(te)s.  

The humorous dialogue is well portrayed by the returning cast, with the addition of Cate Blanchett, Kit Harington, and Djimon Hounsou, the latter being the latest villain. These voice actors engaged with the story and once again brought it to life.

The film succeeds in expanding the world of Hiccup and Toothless. With the background laid down in the first film — and aside from probably the only major plot development that was surprising — the second film focuses instead on supplementing and enhancing the details.

One focus centres on character development: Hiccup’s struggles with figuring out who he is, the person he wants to be, and his role in the world.

Set five years after the first movie, the animators have altered the characters and setting to mark the difference. Some people have even commented that Hiccup and Astrid (America Ferrera) were rather “good looking.” 

For those who haven’t seen the short film Gift of the Night Fury or the TV series, the biggest shift from the original is probably Hiccup’s relationship with his father Stoick, the Village of Berk, and Hiccup’s relationship with Astrid. The sequel also features the dragons’ growing personalities, along with the strengthened bonds between them and their riders. Not to worry though, despite any changes, the characters still maintain their fun, unique personalities!

From time to time the film might feel like a side story. While it ends with a resolution, there is the hint of a possible continuation, and indeed, director Dean DeBlouis intends to continue with a third installment. Despite leaving some questions unanswered, the film was enjoyable, and if you are already a fan, this shouldn’t dissuade you in any way.