Big impact on a Small Stage

0
541

CMYK-Tariq Hussain - photo by Wayne Hoecherl_resized

Small Stage Point 5 takes the glamour of interdisciplinary performance to a tiny stage — on July 4 and 5, big names and bigger talents will light up The Emerald with incredible music and dance collaborations. Five performances, each one composed of a pair made up of one dancer and one musician make up the cast. All local artists, these are professionals who record, write, and perform music in Vancouver.

Tariq Hussain is one of these stellar talents, known for his role in the Vancouver-based band Brasstronaut, his Juno nominated album The Basement Songs, and his recent The Moonwalker EP. In Small Stage Point 5, Tariq plays two roles, that of co-curator and performer. This dual role has given Hussain a unique perspective on the performance. In curating the show, his job included finding the performers, and making the contacts. The process involved first choosing five musicians, and then his co-curator Julie-anne Saroyan found five dancers. 

As a performer, Hussain has had to develop a five to seven minute piece that “integrates music and dance on an 8×8 stage.” Seeing the pairings come together and develop their art has been a highlight for Hussain. Working on the piece, and seeing the results has been another, as he said, “you start with nothing and you have to come up with something.” 

Hussain explains that the performance has a broad appeal, as it crosses over into both the dance and music worlds. The artists come from varied backgrounds: from contemporary dance, to pop and indie rock, to hip-hop, and R&B. There is even an electronic musician paired with a burlesque dancer. 

The musicians joining Hussain in this show are Christopher Smith, Tonye Aganaba, Loscil, and Andrea Lo. Paired with Hussain is dancer Farley Johansson, and the other four musicians are paired with Karissa Barry, Stewart Iguidez, Burgandy Brixx, and Jennifer Bishop respectively.

This is ‘round two’ for Small Stage Point 5; the show has been revived because  “it was successful, the performers enjoyed doing it, [and it was] packed every night,” said Hussain. This version takes place in a slightly larger room at The Emerald, one with a different feel. In the last performance there were live dance transitions that were quite the “comedic interludes,” described Hussain. This version has transitions, but they will be presented in a very different way. However, the essence of the show is the same, with the same number of pairings. 

But why the small stage? Hussain explained that it’s purposeful. On a big stage there is a separation, the small space avoids the traditional setup of distance and disconnect. Hussain said that when you “physically force people to share the same space [there is an] interaction, connection between the two people” which develops, allowing them to “create something that allows them to work in the space.”  

The “parameters are good to work with” continued Hussain, as they grant the performance an “intimate, immediate connection between audience and performer,” developing a “special, unique kind of energy.” The Emerald allows this, as it’s a tight, intimate space that gives the curators exactly the kind of feel they want. 

The collaboration process has put the performers to the test, especially figuring out the technical side of it. “In a live context, there’s a lot of logistics you never considered,” said Hussain. They are “learning as [they] go,” and thinking about “staging, sightlines, costume, and lights.” 

Hussain assured that audiences can expect a “bang-up show considering the skill level of the people,” adding, “expect great things.”

Small Stage Point 5 will be presented July 4 and 5 at The Emerald. For more information, visit movent.ca