VP: Student Life

0
530

The Vice-President Student Life works primarily with student groups on campus and members of the Society. This position will act as a liaison for organizations including but not limited to Department Student Unions, Faculty Student Unions, and SFSS Clubs. The Vice-President Student Life will also be responsible for the organization of on campus events.

The Vice-President Student Life shall:

> Act as a liaison between the Board, Council, and other student groups at the university.

> Oversee the establishment and maintenance of Faculty Student Unions and Department Student Unions, and act as a liaison between the Board and Faculty Student Unions and Department Student Unions.

> Undertake all other duties and responsibilities the Board may delegate to the Vice-President Student Life from time to time.

1. How will you help student groups on campus with their financial needs?

2. How are you going to engage the satellite campuses in society events and activities?

3. VP-Student Life chairs Events Committee. How would you manage that committee and improve it? How do you feel about the current types/number of events held by the SFSS?

Kayode Fatoba

Kayode Fatoba

1. Develop criteria based funding (cultural funds for PSA, ASA, CAC e.t.c for integrating international students). Partner with SFU’s Engagement Fund, BASS, BMBA, to provide funding for clubs meeting specific criteria since these funding is available. Increase corporate sponsorships with SFSS, which could potentially benefit clubs. Allow clubs who currently make profit to reinvest that fund into the SFSS(Holding) in the form of micro-loans with interest. Rather than funds sitting in club’s bank . . .

2. Developing a weekly newsletter, including an online video component (social media enhancement). Increased efforts toward a multimedia department. Enhance SFSS website. Develop events to mobilize student body to attend activities developed by satellite campuses like Musicals&Plays at Woodwarts. Develop washroom Calendar advertisements like R.H.A. to increase visibility at all campuses. Improve efforts of integrated website and traffic. Develop better relationship with The Peak, there are numerous avenues for overlap.

3. Develop more funding through ongoing Sponsorships. Imaging “SFU goes to the Movies Day,” every Tuesday we go somewhere discounted since potential increase for businesses might allow discount bargaining. Our SFU Student Card could get us amazing deals=migration to SFSS website. Offer help to clubs, and incentives for using SFSS services. Develop unique events from Clubs and DSU’s. Utilize SFSS clubs (Marketing Club, Photo club, Video Club…)- not just as promoters selling tickets. Send . . .

BlossomMalhan

Blossom Malham (Move the Mountain)

1. The student society is here for the students and if elected VP student life I plan on bringing back the SFSS bookstore, a place where students can fairly trade their textbooks without breaking the bank. I also wholeheartedly support more student bursaries because at the end of the day we work with students’ money so why not use it to support them in every possible way.

2. Simply by treating our satellite campuses with the same importance and respect as Burnaby. It’s necessary for the student society to take the first steps in initiating engagement by going to our satellite campuses and approaching the different committees and clubs at those campuses and offering them our absolute support so they feel more connected and are able to collaborate with the student society in Burnaby.
3. First of all I would appoint committee members as liaisons to our satellite campuses so that we have complete input from all student groups. Furthermore I would not hesitate in approaching students on a regular basis in finding out what kinds of events they would prefer instead of playing a guessing game. Current events have been improving at the SFSS but they always seem to be Burnaby central which has got to change.

PatrickPopa

Patrick Popa (ACE)

1. I will be working closely with the granting committee to facilitate the accessibility of grants for groups. In order to accomplish this I plan to chair the Granting committee, to better connect the granting process with events. Also I will be looking into providing student groups with extended training to approach local and international organizations for sponsorship.

2. Right now I feel like the satellite campuses are not being engaged enough. Additionally I hope to work with the future board, should I be elected, so that we may better connect these campuses. Specifically I want to host more SFSS events at our satellite campuses, expand clubs’ days at those campuses and increase overall SFSS presence.

3. There are too many events based in the pub, and a lack of diversity regarding events. I have included in my platform that I will address this lack in diversity by hosting conferences, debates, fundraisers, and all-ages parties. This diversity of events requires a high level of organization, proper planning throughout the year and a strong committee. If elected I will bring these qualities to the committee in order to benefit the student body.

AdharSharma

Adhar Sharma

1. It will be my priority to encourage collaboration other student clubs and faculties on events/projects that are in the interest of both, the students and the organizing body. By reducing the communication gap between the interested parties, student events can be played out more efficiently by pulling together various resources and reducing overlapping of events. A close knitted student communication circle will not only offer an efficient system for students but will immensely support . . .

2. Approximately 34.6 per cent of all SFU students attend courses at satellite campuses. Many student from faculties and clubs at these campuses have expressed their detachment from the SFU community on other campuses, be it social events or academics integration. As a regular student at all SFU campuses, I will personally coordinate with the satellite campuses to keep them in the loop of prospective events/ activities.
3. I will bring together my past experiences of developing and organizing various kinds of events as an executive at Indian Students Federation to the SFSS Events Committee to conduct the meeting in the most proficient manner while facilitating it in running its regular schedule of events. I plan to promote the inclusion of other student groups in collaborating in our events for the highland pub which will help achieve high student turnouts in these events . . .