VP: External Relations

0
579

The Vice-President External Relations is a position to advocate for the Society, and chairs the Advocacy Committee. The Vice-President External Relations runs campaigns (such as the current Student Debt campaign), communicates with SFU groups such as Senate, Governors, the Graduate Student Society, and other student groups, and maintains contact with outside organizations including direct contact with the government as well as networking with other universities and student societies around the country. This position is not involved in the administration of the Society as much as in public relations, and involves some flexibility in the projects the Vice-President External Relations chooses to undertake.

The Vice-President External Relations shall:

> Be responsible for keeping the Board informed of plans or actions of external organizations, outside the university, and federal and provincial governments that have a direct bearing on the Society or its members.

> Be responsible for Society business related to, and organize Society representation at conferences held by external organizations, other than the university, in which the Society may have membership or interest.

> Act as a liaison between the Society and other student unions.

> Undertake all other duties and responsibilities the Board may delegate to the Vice-President External Relations from time to time.

1. What initiatives would you advocate for on behalf of students?

2. What level(s) of government would you lobby in your position? Why, and who would you talk to?

3. You are in a meeting with an elected official representing the interests of students and they completely disregard the information and position you are presenting. What do you do?

Darwin

Darwin Binesh (ACE)

1. There is a lot to advocate for on behalf of students, and if elected I would always be available to address concerns students have and advocate on their behalf. At this time, I think the largest issues students face are: translink, deferred maintenance, expensive textbooks, and rising tuition. In addition, I think losing the food bank this year was a huge loss, and I would ensure that students are fully satisfied with the new program.

2. I would lobby the provincial government first and foremost, because that level of government allocates funding towards our education. I would start by speaking with local MP’s and MLA’s to make the issues heard and then build on those relationships. Hopefully I would meet with the premier, specifically to address issues our students face. For me, it is not only about making issues heard, but working with students and elected officials to find solutions.

3. First, ask why or why not. If there is no compromise, I would continue to fight on behalf of students. Most importantly, students need to know that the elected official is disregarding their view and are very welcome to work with me to collectively hold the official accountable. However; if I can address their reasons, I would work with them and students to find a compromise and present a suitable solution to the issue.

Kathleen Yang

Kathleen Yang (Move the Mountain)

1. To increase accessibility to SFU, I will advocate for buses that travel directly to SFU campuses. For food accessibility, long term solutions that reduce the stigma placed on student hunger. I also would like to advocate for more needs based grants, scholarships and lower interest rates on student loans to make education more affordable. While I hope to prioritize these advocacy initiatives I am very open to supporting other campaigns put forward by students.

2. To improve transit, I would lobby the provincial government to allocate new sources of funding for Translink by contacting the Minster of Transportation Todd Stone, Translink critic George Heyman, and our local MLAs Jane Shin (Burnaby), Bruce Ralston (Surrey), Jenny Kwan (Woodwards), and Sam Sullivan (Harbour Centre). Getting the provincial government to provide alternative funding solutions is critical following their decision to restrict municipal capacity to generate new sources of Translink revenue.

3. I would ask the official to provide reasons for their disapproval and request to schedule a second meeting in which I would provide further evidence of support from students (i.e. petition, letters, etc.) and a presentation that specifically addresses the concerns of the official. If the official fails to provide reasons or recommendations, I would go to students and other elected officials to obtain further information, feedback and support to strengthen my presentation.