Tackling climate change one shift at a time

0
443

powershift-jennifer castro-flickr
The weekend of Oct 4 to 7 marked a pivotal moment for Canadians fighting for environmental and social change. Over a thousand youth gathered in Victoria to participate in the largest climate change conference in BC’s history: PowerShift BC.

Over the course of three action packed days, students took part in a series of interactive discussions, workshops, and panel events. The premise of the conference was to work towards creating a sustainable planet so that a fair economy and job market might also become a reality.

As part of the Canadian Youth Climate Coalition, PowerShift BC was organized in partnership with a variety of other groups including: the Wilderness Committee, Forest Ethics Advocacy, University of Victoria Student Society, Council of Canadians, and Sustainable SFU.

The event kicked off with a workshop titled “PowerShift 101,” which brought attendees together in the name of international solidarity for climate justice. Workshop topics ranged from exploring the instances of oppression in society to field experts discussing the implications of pipelines and tankers.

The delicate balance between economic growth and environmental sustainability was a focal point of discussion during the conference. Specific concerns were highlighted and discussed, such as the proposed Enbridge Northern Gateway pipeline to be built as a new outlet for accessing crude oil, and Premier Christy Clark’s recent announcement about increasing fossil fuel exports.

Keynote speakers included Maude Barlow, David Suzuki, and Neelam Khare, who spoke about rising up against the energy economy of  governments and corporations. “Harper elevated the economy above the very atmosphere that sustains us,” Suzuki said. “Let’s put the ‘eco’ back into ‘economics’ where it belongs.”

Sustainable SFU, an environmental and social advocacy society based on campus, was at the heart of the event as an organizing partner, hoping to take away ideas that might help them create a more sustainable environment on campus. Sustainable SFU also provided travel grants and financial support to students who wanted to attend the conference.

“Sustainable SFU gained some insight into the spectrum of issues resulting from an imbalance in power, and some tools to use in further mobilizing to combat the issues of climate change and the lack of recognition of Aboriginal rights and titles,” said James Hoffele, Sustainable SFU’s climate director. “I gained a sense that young people do care about the earth we are inheriting and want to have their democratic voices heard.”

quotes1Let’s put the ‘eco’ back into ‘economics’ where it belongs.”

– David Suzuki, environmental activist

Other highlights from the conference included the small yet powerful voice of 12-year-old Ta’Kaiya Blaney, a singer, actor, and environmental activist who is a member of Sliammon First Nation from BC. “I can’t wait until I’m 20 for politicians to act,” said Blaney.

The conference ended with students participating in a march as they teamed up with Idle No More to protest against the building of resource draining projects such as pipelines and tankers. The march was organized by PowerShift BC as a stage for mass civil disobedience training.

The crowd chanted, “We are unstoppable! Another world is possible!” as they marched through the streets of downtown Victoria.