University Briefs

0
433

NEWS - University Briefs

Former UW professor charged for child porn

Former University of Waterloo professor Sandy Thorburn has been charged with the production and possession of child pornography, along with juvenile prostitution and internet luring after being seized with a 17-year-old girl in a hotel in a police sting operation. Thorburn was reportedly luring teenage girls aged between 15-19 with pseudonyms and faked modeling agencies to gather pictures or sex. The University of Waterloo had not responded to requests for a comment.

With files from Imprint

Ontario introduces financial aid for students leaving foster care

A new program entitled 100 per cent Tuition Aid for Youth leaving Care grant, a collaboration between the Ontario government and Queen’s University, aims to cover the tuition and living expenses, up to $11,000 per student per year, for potential Queen’s students who were also former Crown wards or under the care of Children’s Aid. The expenses will split evenly between the government and the university and will fund approximately 500 eligible students across 29 education institutions in Ontario.

With files from The Journal

YU and WU profs detained in Egypt

John Greyson, a York University professor and filmmaker was arrested along with emergency room physician and assistant professor from Western University, Tarek Loubani, in Egypt in late August. The pair was heading for Gaza via Cairo to shoot a documentary and train local doctors, respectively, when they were detained by Egyptian police. The arrests occurred on an extra night stay for the professors due to an unexpected delay at the border, and the reason for the arrests is still unknown.

With files from Excalibur