Obama has the credentials to be remembered as one of America’s presidents

0
388

SONY DSC

By Brad McLeod
Photos by Flikr

As the Humour Editor of this paper, I try my hardest to keep my writing as fun and light-hearted as possible. Since day one of writing for The Peak, I’ve always insisted on never divulging any of my real opinions or political beliefs, and have been committed instead on simply providing objective, clean, and wholesome comedy for the nice people of this school.

With that said, I would like to sincerely apologize for breaking that vow and writing this scathing Editor’s Voice, but I honestly think that Barack Obama is going to be remembered as having been one of the Presidents of the United States.

I realize that this is a controversial opinion, and I completely understand if you’ll never be able to read any of my comics, or fake news articles, or hilarious musings about the difference between men and women in the same light ever again — but before you come down too hard on me, let me just make my case.

In 2008, Barack Hussein Obama was elected by the American people as their country’s president. He received over 50 per cent of the vote and beat out his opponent, Senator John McCain, who I believe will not go down in history as one of the US’s presidents.

Shortly after winning the election, Obama was sworn in and then proceeded to hold office for four years, before being re-elected in 2012. Again, he kept the position and will most likely continue to perform the duties of president until 2016.

It is because of this that I firmly believe that he’ll go down in history as one of the United States’s presidents. In fact, I consider him to be the 44th president, just ahead of George W. Bush and Bill Clinton, who both also served as president after being elected to do so.

Now, of course I understand that there are a lot of counter-arguments to these claims, but as far as I am concerned, you cannot have a presidency retroactively taken away based on suspicions of being a secret Muslim (in America, at least), nor do I believe that the last five years have in fact all just been a dream.

Although I feel uncomfortable revealing these political beliefs of mine, I feel that this is an important issue, even if it will never stop being argued. At the same time, though, I guess it’s just one of those classic debates for the ages like “Were the Beatles one of the 100 most popular bands of the 60s?” or “Was JFK really born in Brookline, Massachusetts?” No one will ever agree completely.

Anyways, I’m sorry to have gotten so political and expose myself as an “Obama is the President of the United States” supporter, and I hope you haven’t become too disillusioned to read my Humour section.

Hey, speaking of the Humour section, it’s only a couple of pages away from here! Why not go there now? It might be a nice break from such a bitingly contentious opinion piece.