University Briefs

1
444

By Alison Roach

UVic unveils gender-inclusive washrooms

Two washrooms in the main concourse of the UVic Student Union Building which were formerly gendered have been reassigned as gender-inclusive, allowing any person of any gender to use the two spaces. UVic is the first campus on Vancouver Island to try out the multi-stall, gender-inclusive layout.  The physical changes are limited to a new partition around the urinals in the former men’s washroom, and the replacement of the signs at the entrance of each.

Two Canadian universities pull top ranking spots

The 2012 QS World University Rankings was released on Monday, with McGill University ranked 18th, and the University of Toronto put in 19th place. This is the first time that two Canadian universities have been designated in the top 20 universities in the world. U of T has been rising in the ranks steadily in the past few years, placing 29th in 2010 and 23rd last year. One thing that U of T’s higher standing is attributed to is an increase in international students.

University of Regina students text each other anonymously

A new social media outlet at the University of Regina allows students to text each other randomly and anonymously. URconnecting.com matches students to other users of the site and lets them text each other from their cell phones. Students sign up with their campus email account and provide their age, sex, and area of study, while keeping their personal phone number private. The website touts itself as “ChatRoulette for SMS.”