Top 5 places to eat under $5

0
630

By Adam Dewji

Photo by Mark Burnham

Let’s face it: most places on campus are terribly expensive, and a tasty, satisfying  meal costs at least $10. In light of this, I took it upon myself to find the options that a lot of people don’t realize are available. I walked around campus with my hefty $5 bill and 12 per cent HST in change on hand.  What did I find? There are at least five places on campus where I can grab a satisfying amount of food. And believe me, these are tasty food choices.

5. Renaissance “Muffin and Coffee” Price: $2.99 (including tax)

A muffin can certainly be filling; we’ve all seen that episode of Seinfeld, right?  Nonetheless, these muffins are HUGE. They are fat-guy-on-the-bus-that-takes-up-three-seats huge.  And the best part: it’s almost all muffin-top. Delicious! Renaissance has the tastiest chocolate chip muffin I’ve ever had.  Combine that with a plethora of coffee choices — everything from irish cream to hazelnut to “Rocket Fuel” dark — and you’ve got the perfect place if you’re craving caffeine and a muffin.  It’s also a great place to take someone for coffee if you’re feeling nervous; just nibble on your muffin instead of twitching or talking about how it rains in Vancouver a lot.

4. Pizza Point “2 Slices + Pop” Price: $4.25

If you feel like going for pizza, but are skeptical, I’m telling you: this place has improved over the last couple of years. The pop that comes out of the fountain isn’t as watered-down as it is at most places, and their pizza is quite good for the price. I usually find myself ordering the BBQ chicken pizza slice, or one of their other meaty selections. They have other stuff too, like fries and chicken strips. If you haven’t, try this place out. It’s $5 that will fill you up and won’t taste like butt, so long as you like pizza.

3. Plum Garden Noodle House “Fried Noodle Special” Price: $3.99

I was a little sketched out when I saw this place too, but I decided I felt like eating noodles — we all get that craving once in a while, right?  Take your stereotypical “Chinese-take-out” fried noodles, and throw in some fried chicken (or at least what I think is chicken).  It’s a solid amount of food, tastes good, and doesn’t break the bank!

2. The Ladle “Soup” Price: $3.35 (small, 12oz); $4.55(large, 16oz)

You might be thinking: “Soup? Fuck that, soup is for wussies,” but not this soup!  Trust me; I’ve had my fair share of soups, and this place kicks ass!  The Ladle is run by the SFSS, and they have everything from the curry-based mulligatawny to broccoli to minestrone; no soup is ever skimped on the taste!  It took me a while to try it, because everything they serve is vegan/vegetarian, and I never thought anything without meat would have any taste, or could ever be filling. Holy crap, was I ever wrong.  They have other things too: home-style macaroni and cheese for less than five bucks, grilled cheese sandwiches that they make in front of you, and other things I haven’t tried yet because their soup kicks so much ass. They’re located in the MBC, downstairs from the registrar’s office. Give it a try!

1. Club Ilia “Small Pasta w/ sauce; 11 a.m.–3 p.m. Lunch” Price: $4.50

The hidden gem on campus for lunch? Club Ilia’s walk-in “get your food and get out” lunch from 11 a.m. to 3pm. The pasta is so incredible that it blows my mind how no one ever thinks of going here!  You choose what kind of pasta and sauce you want, and get a generous portion of your choice. I got a large my first time (priced at $6.50) and I couldn’t finish it, so opt for the small for $4.50. It’s the same quality as their sit-in pasta, and chances are, you don’t have time to sit down in the restaurant anyways if you’re grabbing lunch between classes.  Either way, this rocks the socks off of any other place you’ll come across with food under $5.

Close competitors that didn’t make the list:

The Highland Pub “Poutine,” “Toonie Tuesday,” ”Wings Night” –Price: $7, $2, 25-cents wings

Your friendly campus pub is a great place to go for a bite!  Not to mention a drink, or two, or more.  Their poutine is a delicious choice for $7, but because it’s over the $5 limit, it gets a “runner up” prize.  The poutine is quite good for pub food; it’s no Montreal poutine, but it’s worth the plunge.  Also, on Tuesdays they have a number items for $2, including burgers, hot dogs, edamame, and others. On Wednesdays, they have 25-cent wings, so don’t throw them out of the competition. Highland Lager goes for $11.25, so it’s a great place to go with friends, because beer is awesome.

The Himalayan Peak “Lunch Buffet”, “Naan-wich”, “Chicken-stuffed naan” Price: $12, $7, $4.25

Do you like naan?  Delicious Indian-style flatbread? How could you not? Now just imagine chicken or meat with Indian spices, and throw it between some Naan for a sandwich, and you’ve got the “Naan-wich”! It tastes better than it looks (and it looks delicious), and at $7 it’s both tasty and filling. The Himalayan Peak also has a lunch buffet for $12, which kicks the crap out (no pun intended) of most Indian food restaurants in Burnaby, never mind on campus.The taste of the chicken-stuffed naan appetizer is like an orgasm for my taste buds, and I don’t normally like Indian food. It’s probably my favourite thing on the menu. Unfortunately, it fails to rank because it’s too small to be considered a meal.