2012 Western Conference Playoff Preview

0
443

By Adam Ovenell-Carter

Vancouver

Prediction: lose in WCF

The Canucks, almost inexplicably, are well within the hunt for the President’s Trophy this year for being the team with the best record through the regular season, and it would be their second straight. But, we all know where that got them last year. The Canucks dominated the league through the 2010-2011 regular season campaign, but it didn’t win them the Stanley Cup. This year, they haven’t really dominated anything, yet somehow they find themselves in the thick of it again. That speaks to the ridiculous talent and depth on the roster while on one hand it could be seen as concerning that the Canucks can’t seem to put teams away with ease. The whole year has been a set-up for the playoffs, and the Canucks will have home ice advantage through at least the first two rounds. The Canucks are playing just so-so hockey, but if they can turn it up, they could go deep, again.

St. Louis

Prediction: lose in WCSF

The Blues have been the surprise team of the year, led by surefire coach of the year Ken Hitchcock. They can play an almost mind-numbingly boring defensive game, buts it’s undeniably effective. The Blues are easily first in the league in goals against per game, allowing just 1.86 a game — the second place Kings come in at 2.02, nobody else is even under 2.20. Goalies Brian Elliott and Jaroslav Halak have been nothing short of sensational, combining for 15 shutouts (nine and six respectively). Elliott is a leading candidate for the Vezina Trophy as the league’s best netminder, and Halak has shone in the playoffs before. For teams like Vancouver and San Jose who often rely on offense, the Blues could be nothing but a nightmare. However, the Blues struggle to score goals, and are quite young and inexperienced when it comes to the playoffs. If they run into a hot goalie, they could be toast.

Los Angeles

Prediction: lose in WCQF

Any home ice advantage the Kings get will be because they won their division, but do they deserve it? They are one of the most enigmatic teams in these playoffs (joined by Washington in the East), and one of the most inconsistent. Jonathan Quick has been stellar in net for the Kings, and their defensive style has put them behind only St. Louis in the goals against category. Their biggest issue is unquestionably their inability to score goals; the Kings have the third-fewest goals-for in the NHL. What’s troubling is that the Kings paid big prices to bring in big names like Jeff Carter and Mike Richards, but both have been big disappointments. They say defense wins championships, but don’t expect one in Hollywood this year. A matchup against a playoff-tested team like Chicago could spell disaster for the Kings.

Nashville

Prediction: lose in SCF

Nashville is easily one of the most intriguing teams heading into these playoffs. They gave the Cup finalist Canucks all they could handle, and only got better this year. Shea Weber and Ryan Suter are arguably the league’s top defensive pairing, and Pekka Rinne is a world-class netminder who almost stole the series against Vancouver. They added Andrei Kostitsyn and Paul Gaustad at the tradeline, and paid quite a heavy price to do so. However, the Predators’ undoing last year was their inability to score, and these trades, along with the late-season addition of former Predator and KHL superstar Alex Radulov helps big time certainly helps that. The Predators finally made it past the first round for the first time in franchise history last year, and you can bet they’ll be plenty hungry to get past that this year — and you can bet they will.

Detroit

Prediction: lose in WCQF

Not a lot needs to be said about the Red Wings. They’re perennial contenders, and for good reason. They have Pavel Datsyuk (who the NHL’s players voted as the best player in the world), they have Henrik Zetterberg, Johan Franzen, Niklas Kronwall . . . the list goes on. Oh, and that Nicklas Lidstrom guy. The Wings are a tried and true playoff team, and have the Stanley Cup rings to show for it. Jimmy Howard has finally hit his stride over the past two years, and has emerged as one of the NHL’s better goaltenders. They’re well-balanced, well-coached, and well-managed. The only problem is that they won’t have home ice advantage to start the post-season, and are matched up against the hot pick Nashville Predators in the first round. That said, they no doubt have the resources and experience to pull off the ‘upset’, it’s just a matter of whether they will.

Chicago

Prediction: lose in WCSF

The Blackhawks aren’t what they once were, that’s for sure. Still, Chicago isn’t a team to be taken for granted. Marion Hossa has been one of the best two-way forwards — let alone players — in the game this year, and Patrick Kane is always dangerous. Jonathan Toews, in spite of his concussion issues, is still one of the game’s best and was on pace for the NHL’s goal-scoring lead, and even a Hart Trophy before he got injured. Duncan Keith is back from his five-game suspension for his elbow on Daniel Sedin, and isn’t that far removed from being named the league’s top defenseman. The Hawks have plenty of talent in their core group, but after that, the skill levels drop pretty significantly. They might not have what it takes to win another Stanley Cup, but they definitely have a chance at pulling off an upset or two

San Jose

Prediction: lose in WCQF

For a long time, it was looking like the Sharks were going to miss the post-season, which could’ve put them into fire sale mode come the offseason. It could still come to that if they can’t make it deep into the playoffs, and that could be a challenge given their first-round matchup against the Blues. The Sharks know all about making it to the Western Conference Final, and made it there last year too. They looked poised to finally make it over the hump and into the Cup final, but the Canucks ousted them in only five games. With almost the same roster, they barely squeaked into the first round this year. Joe Thornton has proven he can be a playoff performer, as has the rest of the team, but they’ll all need to step up big time to make it out of round one.

Phoenix

Prediction: lose in WCQF

The Coyotes are eerily similar to the Predators of last year. They play an incredibly stingy defensive game that can drive fans and opponents both insane. They get by with whatever offense they can muster, and are riding an up-and-coming goaltender who has been lights out of late (Mike Smith recorded a 54-save shutout last week). That got the Predators out of the first round last year, but they lost to the Canucks in six games in round two. A Phoenix–St. Louis matchup would serve them well, as they wouldn’t have to worry too much about their offense breaking through the dam. But, a first-round series against an offensive team like Vancouver could spell their end. It won’t be easy for the Coyotes to upset anyone, but like Nashville last year, have a chance to surprise.