Opening of Menchie’s upsets Yeti Yogurt fanatics

0
565

A group of students calling themselves the FroYo Freedom Fighters (FFFs) are livid with the recent opening of a Menchie’s yogurt bar at SFU. According to them, Yeti Yogurt is the one true frozen yogurt place, and the new Menchie’s is an affront to the purity of what Yeti Yogurt brings to the mountain.

Connor Anderson is one of the students affiliated with the dessert disruptors. He said that he’s been loyal to Yeti Yogurt for years now, aggressively pulling out his Your Yeti rewards card during our interview and shoving it in my face.

“You see this shit?” he asked, oblivious to the fact that it was now the only thing in my line of vision. “I’m a Frosty Member. That’s next-level dedication right there. I don’t have a whole lot going for me, but I’ll be damned if Menchie’s takes anything from me.”

Anderson acknowledged he has no plans to physically take action against Menchie’s — “I love frozen yogurt as much as the next guy, but I’m not going to jail over this,” he said — but plans to spend a few hours over the upcoming weeks telling anyone who will listen to him that the Yeti Yogurt versus Menchie’s debate actually matters.

Over at Menchie’s, located within the Simon C’s Convenience Store, customers aren’t necessarily feeling the same obsession with their new treat on campus, but acknowledge it is nice that it’s there.

“It’s perfect just in time for summer!” said Amy Evans. “I’m still kind of bummed I have to take summer courses up here, but it’s much nicer having a Menchie’s than not having one.”

When asked about the FroYo Freedom Fighters, she was taken aback: the group hadn’t yet infiltrated her life in any way, for which she had been thankful.

“I think both places are nice!” she said, remaining blissfully unaware of the gravity of the situation. “I don’t understand why people have to be so weird about these things. It’s just frozen yogurt.”

So far, the Menchie’s seems to be a big hit, but is still in the honeymoon phase where anything new to campus is still exciting and hasn’t been tainted yet like most things available to students. Anderson and the rest of the FFFs are trying to hasten that, standing outside the location with picket signs and yelling at potential customers.

“Give it time,” scoffed Anderson. “They’ll come crawling back to the Yeti way.”

Meanwhile, the Highland Pub remains closed, which is what everyone on campus really wants open.