AV Materials Policy

AV Materials Policy

1. Purpose:
The purpose of this policy is to outline the management, responsibilities, and duties required of The Peak’s staff and contributors in the handling of AV materials.

2. Definitions.
“Staff” refers to any employee of the Peak Publications Society.
“Contributor” refers to any person who is paid for their contributions to The Peak. (See Pay Policy for more details.)
“AV materials” refers to any and all photography/videography equipment, including, but not limited to cameras, SD cards, microphones, lenses, backgrounds, lighting equipment, etc.
“Waiver form” refers to the attached Appendix A document.
“Staff Illustrator” or “Staff Photographer” refers to a contributor who produces consistently exceptional content as determined by individual section editors and is rewarded for that work.

3. Policy and Procedure
A. All staff and contributors are responsible for the equipment they take out.
i. All borrowers, staff and contributors, must fully complete a waiver form in order to sign out AV materials.
ii. A staff member must sign their own form and a staff member is required to co-sign a contributor’s form. Forms will be available in the photo studio. Completed forms will be submitted into an inbox within the photo studio.
iii. Upon return, an editor should sign on the waiver that the equipment has been returned in the space provided.
B. The multimedia editor and photo editor will take on inventory duties related to the equipment and the waiver forms.
i. Every week, the multimedia editor and photo editor will scan and upload each signed waiver to a shared file on The Peak server.
ii. Every month, the multimedia editor and photo editor will complete an inventory check using a preferred method which will track the location and condition of each AV material. As such, the AV materials will be labeled in a consistent fashion, i.e., SD card 1, Camera 1, Microphone 1, etc.
iii. The editor-in-chief retains the right to make changes to the tracking method as they see fit.

4. Disciplinary Action
A. In the event of damage to AV materials, or loss of AV materials, under the care of a staff member or contributor:
i. The staff member or contributor will discuss the proper repayment and course(s) of action following the incident with the multimedia editor, photo editor, editor-in-chief, business manager, and in the case of a contributor, the editor who co-signed the waiver.
ii. If necessary, the staff member’s final pay cheque, or the contributor’s end-of-semester invoice payment may be withheld until such a meeting and consequential steps have occurred.