Blitzen Trapper falls victim to bad acoustics

0
579
Blitzen Trapper Band Photo.

Blitzen Trapper, a rock band based in Portland, Oregon, has one of the most unique catalogues in music. They can seamlessly go from playing a bluesy indie-folk track to a classic rock-inspired one without it feeling like a stretch. However, this varied musical style can pose problems when playing a live show in a venue that was never designed to handle music so varied.

The band played at the Biltmore Cabaret, which as a venue for either burlesque or a punk show would be acoustically perfect, but it failed to highlight their musical abilities. The muddy acoustics made all of their songs sound similar, which was very disappointing given their ability to play many different styles of music while maintaining the essence of what makes them a band.

Despite this, the group maintained high energy throughout their show. There was a moment when they almost lost the crowd during an instrumental interlude that could have been shorter, but they seamlessly transitioned into a cover of The Beatles’ “Come Together” and brought the crowd back from the brink, and, if possible, got them more excited about being there than when the band first got on stage.

This second half of the show featured songs more popular among fans, such as “Furr” and “Black River Killer”; the first half predominately featured songs off of their latest album, All Across This Land, which was a very recent release. These newer songs sounded much like a southern fried version of their older releases, though, again, the acoustics of the venue negatively affected the overall sound of the concert.

Blitzen Trapper did work in favour of the opening act, Phoebe Bridgers. Although she herself is in a punk band, Sloppy Janes, her solo work definitely doesn’t fit that genre. It is firmly in the realm of singer songwriter with a tinge of country. Her music suited the space well, being comprised of only her singing, her guitar, and minimal drums in the background.

Overall, the concert was average. Suprisingly, this wasn’t the band’s fault, but rather the venue’s, which would not let the varied stylings of this excellent group come forth.