Creed flies high and knocks down expectations

1
484

As diehard Rocky fan, I couldn’t help but feel uncomfortable with the prospect of another film, even one focused on the son of Apollo Creed, Rocky’s perennial rival. A spinoff of the timeless six-movie series just seemed like an unnecessary cash grab. More than that, the series had ended on such a high note — why even take the chance of messing up such a stellar franchise?

And yet, after watching Creed, it seems all the more clear and justifiable that such a film should exist as a companion to the others. Creed isn’t a paint-by-numbers boxing flick regurgitating the winning element of the past Rocky films, but a movie dedicated on building its own legacy unique from those that came before it.

Creed follows the story of Adonis Creed, who wants nothing more than to be a professional boxer. After fighting for most of his life in foster homes and in juvie, it’s the only things that seems natural — completely ignoring the fact that he is the illegitimate son of the late Apollo Creed, boxing legend and Rocky’s former rival. However, Adonis wants to make it on his own without relying on his father’s name to open doors for him. On a whim, the young boxer quits his job and leaves LA for Philadelphia to recruit the help of an aging Rocky Balboa.

At the heart of every Rocky film are strongly written characters who dominate the screen and tug on the hearts of movie-goers. Creed keeps the tradition alive with strong performances from all its cast members — with special emphasis on Michael B. Jordan in the title role as Adonis Creed. Jordan continues to showcase his magnificent acting abilities, reminding audiences that he’s one to keep an eye on.

Sylvester Stallone returns as the much-beloved Rocky Balboa, albeit shifting from his typical role as leading man to a supporting role in the story. Stallone’s performance enriches the film, never overshadowing his co-star’s performance.

Fight scenes and montages, which have been a noteworthy draw of past films, continue to stand out. Director Ryan Coogler changes things up nicely with long, seamless close shots, which help place viewers in the proverbial boots of its lead. On many occasions the fighting seems so visceral and intense, you’d swear it was you throwing Creed’s punches.

Admittedly, the movie does make some significant departures from the tone of the past films. By its end, though, I arrived at a better respect for these choices. They connect to an all-encompassing theme integral to the film’s plot. In a lot of ways, Adonis’ story arc of personal development is reflective of the way the story is presented on screen.

Creed is a near perfect popcorn flick which succeeds in paying homage to the past Rocky films as much as it sets up its own distinct path for future installments. Packed with engrossing fight scenes that leave you on edge of your seat and endlessly endearing characters we come to grow attached to, the quintessential underdog saga continues in fine form, still packing the same heart and resolve we have all expect.

1. I really enjoyed it – and not just because I saw my apartment in the background. The fight scenes were so well done I couldn’t believe it, it takes boxing scenes into a whole new domain, I don’t know how they choreographed it, I was really impressed.