You can’t catch Rebecca Bassett

0
1130
This year Bassett finished 23rd at the national championships, leading SFU to their best ever finish.

Rebecca Bassett has been nothing but consistent since coming to SFU.  The track and field team has qualified for the National Championships every year since she came to SFU in 2012. Her passion for running has taken her to competitions in Washington, Kentucky, Missouri, and most recently Florida.

Bassett plans on combining her love of fitness and nutrition together with the goal of becoming a dietitian, but also plans to keep on running competitively as long as she can. Being an athlete, she knows the importance of proper nutrition and coaching.

Bassett grew up in Nanaimo and took part in running activities at a very young age. Upon realizing she was great at it, she began to dream of competing professionally.

“In high school I started competing provincially, which led to my hopes of competing on varsity teams in university, which led me here.”

Bassett ran in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division II National Championships on November 19, placing 23rd in the 6 km race against more than 200 other girls.

“It was my last and fourth Cross Country National Championships that I competed in. It was a tough race, but it was good. I came 23rd overall, which was the best I have done nationally, and we also came sixth as a team, which is the best we have ever done at a national championship.”

“Looking back on it, I don’t think I would change anything.”

When comparing her first national competition to her last one, Bassett feels as though she has greatly improved as an athlete. In her first competition, she placed 122nd in 249 runners, then placed 24th and 23rd in subsequent national races.

“Last year I was the only girl to make nationals at SFU. Each year I raced with the top girls and gave it my best. Definitely having more experience helped with that. Knowing who I’m competing with, knowing what I have to do, and also just having fun. Since it was my last race, it was very emotional, but I loved it and I don’t have any regrets.”

When reflecting on her time at SFU, Bassett has had many wonderful experiences that she would do all over again. “Looking back on it, I don’t think I would change anything. Everything that I have done has led me to be a better student and a better athlete.”

Being on the only Canadian team to compete in the NCAA, it’s easy to feel like an outsider. However, Bassett has had nothing but positive experiences.

“Many don’t know that there is a Canadian school in the NCAA — SFU is the only one. Everyone who I’ve met at competitions has always thought that it was really awesome meeting me as a Canadian. I have never had any negative feedback from it. “

In addition to running, Bassett also used to compete in gymnastics, swimming, and figure skating before sticking to running full-time. “I used to compete in gymnastics, dance, swimming, and figure skating. I still swim sometimes at the SFU pool. I definitely prefer individual sports over team sports.”

When running on the treadmill, Bassett enjoys listening to Drake, Rihanna, Beyoncé, Justin Bieber, and Rae Sremmurd. “I listen to music when running on the treadmill, but not during practices or competitions. Although it is allowed, I find it too distracting.”

If Rebecca could have any superpower, she would pick super speed and flying.