Over $13,000 raised for annual Terry Fox Day

0
485

WEB-terry fox-Anastasiia Nozdracheva

On the morning of Sept. 24, students, faculty, friends, and family gathered across all three SFU campuses to participate in the country-wide phenomenon that is Terry’s Cause on Campus. Waving banners, cheering, and flaunting school spirit, runners and walkers alike joined together in a 5km trek across campus to raise money for the Terry Fox Foundation.

This year, SFU raised $13,441, with over 34 teams ranging across faculties and campuses. Teams went all out; some ran for fun, some for school pride, and others for loved ones and coworkers who had won or lost the battle with cancer.

One such team was the Geography Climatologists, who ran in memory of Owen Hertzman, an SFU co-worker who passed just three weeks ago. Each teammate carried an image of his face while they ran, and held it high as they crossed the finish line.

During the opening ceremonies of the run, Christine Tulloch, who is currently pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in English at SFU, received a Gold Medal Award for courage in the face of adversity. Participants watched as Tulloch was given three terms’ free tuition at SFU, a $1,000 cash prize, a gold medal, and a plaque in honour of all that she has done for youth and young adults facing the war against cancer, while winning her own fight against leukemia.

Following routine blood testing, Tulloch tested positive for leukemia at age 19. She underwent several medical procedures including bone marrow biopsies, blood transfusions, and chemotherapy. Tulloch went into remission one month later, but was administered two more years of chemotherapy to ensure the cancer would not return.

Tulloch still deals with the side effects of her cancer treatment, suffering from chronic migraines, high blood pressure, a weakened heart and increased risk of other cancers.

quotes1Like Terry, I believe that a world free from cancer is possible, and I promise to continue to fight for this dream.”

– Christine Tulloch, SFU student

Tulloch finished treatments in August of 2009, and is now on her fourth year of university and the path to graduate. Tulloch has volunteered for organizations such as Balding for Dollars, SFU Club for the Cure, and Camp Goodtimes, and has personally earned over $40,000 for the cause.

After school, Tulloch plans to major in clinical counseling, and become a counsellor for other cancer survivors. Diagnosed at similar stages in their lives, Tulloch said, “Like Terry, I believe that a world free from cancer is possible, and I promise to continue to fight for this dream, just as my hero Terry Fox did, until this dream is a reality.”

Since Terry Fox’s monumental Marathon of Hope began in 1980, over $600 million has been raised in his name. In 1999 Terry was voted “Canada’s Greatest Hero” and in 2004, he claimed “Canada’s Second Greatest Hero of all time.”

Terry’s Cause on Campus, which began in fall of 2012, has spread across Canadian universities, and colleges from SFU to the Memorial University of Newfoundland. During this event, students from all over work together to make a difference in the lives of cancer patients at home and abroad.