How the Red Leafs fared this late spring season

Softball, golf, and track and field teams wrapped up in recent months

0
121
Sprinter Marie-Éloïse Leclair holdng up three fingers while running with a baton in her hand.
PHOTO: Nevaeh Capetillo / SFU Athletics

By: Kaja Antic, Sports Writer

As the summer season comes to a close, it’s time to take a look back on the trials and triumphs the Red Leafs faced these past few months. 

Softball
Overall record: 11–31
Conference record: 6–18

The Red Leafs softball team started their season back in February, going 2–4 at the South Central Regional Challenge in New Mexico. They then went 3–5 from mid-February to early March against non-conference opponents, and carried a losing record at the Stanislaus State Tournament of Champions in California. Against teams in the Great Northwest Athletic Conference (GNAC), the Red Leafs only earned six wins against 18 losses, placing sixth out of the seven competing GNAC softball teams and leaving them on the outside of the playoff picture. Overall, the Red Leafs had a fourth-best .271 batting average, a sixth-best 4.81 earned run average for the effectiveness of the pitchers, and the lowest number of catches in the GNAC, with 1224 throughout the season.

Men’s golf
GNAC Championship results: 2nd
NCAA Division II West/South Central Regional Championship results: T-12th

In April, the Red Leafs men’s golf team punched their ticket to the NCAA Division II Regional Championships with a second place finish at the GNAC Championships. Senior Michael Crisologo earned the top spot in the conference championship with a 13 under par 200 strokes, only one more than the tournament record. The Red Leafs lost the top spot overall to the Western Washington University Vikings, who clinched first in the tournament with eight strokes less than the SFU group. At the NCAA Division II West/South Central Regional Championship, the Red Leafs tied with Colorado State – Pueblo for 12th, with a score of 27 strokes over par, and 29 strokes overall between the two schools and the overall winner, Western New Mexico. 

Women’s golf
GNAC Championship results: 1st
NCAA Division II West Regional Championship results: T-11th

The Red Leafs women’s golf team shined brightly at the GNAC Championships in April, winning the conference title for the second time in two years. SFU carried a 14-stroke difference over Western Washington University, and Freshman Dana Smith earned the individual top spot. Smith carried a two under par, 142 stroke score, setting a new record for the GNAC women’s tournament. At the NCAA Division II West Regional Championship, the Red Leafs tied for 11th with Midwestern State University, with a 50 over par and 914 stroke scorecard.

“The Red Leafs women’s golf team shined brightly at the GNAC Championships in April, winning the conference title for the second time in as many years.”

Outdoor track and field

At the GNAC Conference Championships, the Red Leafs showed up strong. The women’s 4x400m relay team earned first place, while Red Leaf sophomore Jarrett Chong took first place in the men’s javelin throw. As well, senior Megan Roxby won the women’s 1500m run, junior Claire Bosma won the women’s 400m dash, and junior Marie-Éloïse Leclair took the titles for the women’s 100m and 200m dash. In the NCAA Division II Championship, Chong placed 15th in the men’s javelin throw, Roxby placed seventh in the women’s 800m run and sixth in the women’s 1500m run, and Leclair placed seventh and fifth in the women’s 100m and 200m dashes, respectively.