Five foolproof date ideas

0
628
Illustration courtesy of Rachelle Tjahyana.

First date

Here’s a classic for a first date with a bit of a twist. Instead of heading to your nearest Starbucks, do a little research and find a local coffee shop in a cool part of town. Suggest that you go for a walk and explore — in Gastown, for example. Now you “happen” to come across this coffee shop and suggest grabbing a cup, pretending you didn’t look it up on Yelp beforehand.

Beach Trip

After the first few dates, head down to the nearest beach to walk along the pier and grab some ice cream while watching the sunset. This also works in the winter: in a pre-storm, bundle up, get some hot chocolates, and snuggle up while you watch the wild waves crash.

Let’s Get Physical

Being physically active on a date can be lots of fun, so why not spend a day at Stanley Park and rent some bikes to ride around the sea wall? Finish off your date by enjoying a picnic at one of the many grassy spots in Stanley Park.

Starry Night

If possible, have a campfire in your backyard, roast some marshmallows, and make s’mores together. Crack a cider or two and lay down on a blanket to watch the stars. Come up with your own names for constellations that you find, and maybe some backstories, too. If the fire isn’t possible, simply substitute with some good tunes to add to the atmosphere.

Movie Marathon

Dates can be expensive, so why not spend a night in? Do an ‘80s movies marathon of all your favorites, like Ferris Bueller’s Day Off and The Breakfast Club. Even deck yourself out in the appropriate ‘80s apparel — rock those neon colours and leg warmers. For a pre-movie activity, make your favourite movie snacks. Look up some recipes for caramel popcorn, or bake some cookies together to munch on during these classics.

Bonus Points: Fancy Pants

You’ve been dating for a while now, and it’s a good idea to treat yourself once in a while. Impress your beloved by getting all dressed up and heading to the Vancouver Art Gallery. From there go for a nice dinner at one of Vancouver’s up and coming restaurants for a full three-course meal. Order an appetizer to share, cocktails, the entree, and a dessert. Spare no expense. A personal favorite of mine is Nuba in Gastown. Now you’re classy.