Let’s talk about sex, SFU

0
674
The SFU Health and Counselling clinic is found on the bottom level of Maggie Benston Centre. - Adam Madojemu

SFU’s sexual health clinic is expanding beyond providing physical care to providing psychological counselling.

Nurse Barbara Chick spoke to The Peak about this new program, as well as the existing sexual health services offered on campus.

Chick explained, “The exciting thing this year [is] that we have a mental health nurse with us. It started as a pilot project and she’s been extended ‘til March.”

She listed identity, reproduction, and sexual assault as issues counselling can help with. “Sometimes it’s more about the emotional side of sexual health as well.”

Chick ran through how an appointment at the clinic typically works: a patient arrives, is led to an exam room, and goes through questions to establish a history of sexual health that may look at their most recent sexual contact and partners.

“We need a little bit of a history to know what type of test to do,” explained Chick. She recommends that students also look into the SFU Women’s Centre, Out on Campus, and the Condom Club which distributes condoms, lube, and sexual health education on a bi-weekly basis in the AQ.

Chick acknowledged that coming into the clinic can be daunting for most students. “Sometimes it’s very hard for people to say what’s going on. For example, if it’s a genital lesion or it’s a wart or something.”

She elaborated, “I think the goal of any of our staff here is just to help somebody feel comfortable enough. . . that they’re in a safe environment to share what their concern is.”

The clinic is a safe space for students of all genders and orientations. Chick said, “Everybody here is very open and all of us are trying to use the right language in communicating with individuals [. . .] I think if somebody is, for example, transitioning or not sure if they can trust us, it would be good for them to know [that] it’s a safe place here.”

Screen Shot 2015-07-03 at 6.26.02 PMAll you need to know but were afraid to ask about SFU’s sexual health clinic:

Where is it?

There are two clinics, and they are located at the Burnaby and Vancouver campuses. The Burnaby clinic is located close to Convocation Mall at MBC 0101, and the Vancouver clinic is on the lower concourse across from the SFU Bookstore in room number 300.

How do I book an
appointment?

This is not a walk-in clinic. Appointments can be made by phone or in person and same day appointments may be possible based on availability.

Can I request a same-gender doctor?

One may request female and male doctors on staff — however, the nurses are only female.

Can I get an HIV test?

Unfortunately. the clinic will not perform blood tests on site, but will give you the appropriate requisition forms to get a test elsewhere. Patients return to the clinic within two weeks for results.

What other tests can I have done?

The clinic performs STI tests at any time as well as PAP tests. The clinic is certain cases can also perform breast exams and test for UTIs (Urinary Tract Infections).

Can I get contraceptives?

Yes. The clinic is well stocked with NUVA rings and oral contraceptives (which range from $15 to $20), but must be prescribed by a clinic doctor. IUDs (intrauterine devices) are also available.

What about after I’m

pregnant?

The clinic offers pre-natal testing and doctors will care for a patient initially before referring to an obstetrician. For women who wish to terminate a pregnancy the clinic will provide information about resources and make referrals as needed.

How do I pay for this?

Appointments are covered by MSP and free to book, although there is a cancellation fee if not enough notice is given. The SFSS health plan will cover any vaccinations (for example Gardasil for HPV) up to $150 every year.