Woohoo, Boohoo

0
489

Web - Boohoo - Rawksteadi

Woohoo: neknominations

We all love to take to the internet once in a while (or all the time) to witness the latest goofball vines or funny fails. With a new viral trend, you might get to see someone you know!

A “neknomination” is when someone films themselves drinking in a unique or strange way, and challenges friends to out-do them within 24 hours, with the video then posted on social media.

It’s never been easier to watch a buddy from high school drink a pitcher of beer in his underwear and do snow angels in freezing temperatures. Those who can’t drink alcohol can resort to a hot sauce, siracha, and orange crush amalgamation and still get laughs and props for their efforts. One South African man has even used his neknomination as a chance to do random acts of kindness for the poor.

Boohoo: alcoholism

I got nominated! However, I never completed my challenge. My “nerknnommnashhn” came from a friend who did his on the same night we were pre-drinking together. Guess what: he was too drunk to remember.

Since the game emerged in 2008, challenges have been linked to several fatalities and have embarrassed countless participants. Is it worth posting your buffoonery on the Internet for everyone (including possible employers) to see in exchange for a temporary drunken state and a few laughs? No. Social media and alcohol go together like mustard and coffee.

Needless to say, neknominations have not caught on due to their positive impact on our culture. In an age of shrinking privacy and increasing connectivity, the embarrassment they result in will provide lessons learned the hard way for too many people.

Some of you may say boohoo to me, having not completed my nomination. Well, I guess I’ll have to live with it.