University Briefs

0
495

briefs WEB

God, dead at UofM?

St. John’s College, affiliate of University of Manitoba, made the decision last year to temporarily shut down its theology department. Dropping numbers in theology students and church attendees forced the Anglican college to declare the faculty unsustainable.

Now, the entire faculty is going to be reviewed and potentially renewed. St. John’s alum, Donald McKenzie, who doubles as a priest at St. Phillips Anglican Church is a part of the renewal initiative. He says, “We just don’t have the people going through the program at the moment to run it in the way we have [in the past]. The program needs to be looked at and revamped, revitalized.”

With files from The Manitoban

Puff, puff, you shall not pass

UBC’s Hempology 101 club was recently suspended from their SUB for creating a pseudo vaporizer lounge in a space they had booked. While there will be no legal repercussions, the club is prohibited from reserving private space in the building for the remainder of the semester.

Student administrative commission vice-chair Nina Scott says that despite this unfortunate mistake, “We’re happy to work more closely with them … and help them make sure something like this doesn’t happen again.” The club’s cannabis convention will go ahead in March as planned, suspension aside.

With files from The Ubyssey

York makes controversial religious accommodation

York University is under scrutiny for standing by a decision to grant a student’s request not to work with women for religious reasons. The request was first made to the student’s professor, J. Paul Grayson, who refused to allow him to work in a group without women.

The university administration’s compliance with this request has generated an outcry of support for the professor, based on the belief that this compliance challenges the school’s gender equality. As reported in Excalibur, affiliate of Feminist Action at York, Danielle Carter, says this action clearly shows that “women’s rights are not a priority at York.”

With files from Excalibur