Fraser Health launches “1 in 5” campaign

0
508

WEB-oneinfive-fraser health

Rectal pain, discharge and bleeding — these are a few of the possible symptoms of the sexually transmitted infection (STI) known as the “clap,” chlamydia. But what really makes this STI scary is that oftentimes, it exhibits no symptoms at all. Chlamydia is known as a “silent” infection, and many carriers have no idea that they are infected.

A recent study by the Sex Information and Education Council of Canada (SIECCAN) reported that only 51 per cent of sexually active university students use condoms, and when they do use them it’s for contraceptive reasons, as opposed to the protection against STIs.

In light of this statistic, Fraser Health Authority has launched the awareness campaign “1 in 5,” taking its name from the research discovery that one in five female SFU students will contract chlamydia during their academic career.

In order to raise awareness and to promote good sexual health, Fraser Health strung up women’s underwear and set up an information booth in the AQ during the last week of October to give out free condoms and important information. Additionally, they created a social media presence for the campaign over Facebook and Twitter to spread the word about this illusive infection.

Dr. Michelle Murti, medical health officer at Fraser Health, told The Peak that despite being an extremely treatable STI, chlamydia is probably one of the most common.

Many carriers have no idea that they are infected.

“We see about 3,000 cases a year across Fraser Health. Mostly, the highest numbers are in women between the ages of 20 and 24,” Murti said. However, if the infection is so easily treated — with only one round of antibiotics — why is it spread so widely amongst the student body?

The answer is simple: lack of awareness. It is a combination of the “silent” nature of the infection and the lack of protection being used by sexually active students. Dr. Murti stated, “about 70 per cent of women and 50 per cent of men won’t even have symptoms so they won’t know they’ve been infected.”

She also stressed the importance of getting tested, which is as easy as peeing into a cup. The long-term effects of the infection can be severe: if untreated, chlamydia can cause pelvic inflammatory disease, tissue scarring, and infertility later in life.

In this technological age, and with the surge of sexual health awareness initiatives in recent years, SIECCAN hoped to see improved numbers from those of a similar survey done years ago. Unfortunately, the results of this new study seem to indicate that students haven’t become more aware of protecting themselves against chlamydia.

Dr. Murti said that even though in the recent survey, “many of the students thought for themselves that they had very good or excellent knowledge in sexual health and in STIs,” the desired level of awareness has yet to be achieved since the number of people using condoms is still low and the frequency of cases of infection is so high.

Dr. Murti considers SFU students in particular to be lucky, as “they have the health and counseling services available at both Vancouver and Burnaby campuses.” Resources can also be found on Fraser Health’s website, including information on STIs, and the locations of sexual health clinics nearest you.