Cool Beans: a musical for coffee lovers

0
600

Beans_0080

Why are there so many people in Vancouver crowding into coffee shops only to sit alone and not talk to all the other lonely people? There might be great romances and friendships waiting to happen, if only we’d let them.

This idea, and coffee shop culture in general, is explored in Cool Beans, a new musical comedy presented by Solo Collective Theatre, written by Anton Lipovetsky — winner of Most Promising Newcomer at the 2013 Jessie Richardson Awards. The show combines caffeine, romance, hipsters, and the coffee shop environment to create a heartfelt and hilarious story that anyone who’s ever sat alone with a latte can relate to.

Running from Nov. 21 to Dec. 1 at Performance Works, Cool Beans is directed by Rachel Peake with music direction by Mishelle Cuttler and set design by John Webber and Drew Facey. The show features four characters, played by Jay Clift, Gilli Roskies, Katey Hoffman, and Josh Epstein.

quotes1If all the outsiders are hanging out together, are they really outsiders?”

Josh Epstein, actor

Epstein plays the ambitious Patrick who had removed himself from “coffee culture” and given up on love to chase success in Dubai. When he returns, he finds that his ex-girlfriend has also changed and is now dating a hipster barista and hanging out with the coffee shop regulars. “They’ve both changed, and they’re in a love rectangle,” said Epstein. “He realizes that the best time of his life was when he had nothing, except for her.”

The idea for this play came from Anton Lipovetsky’s interest in self-identity. “He’s interested in exploring that age group when people are trying to identify who they are . . . they’re constantly asking themselves ‘who do you identity with?’” explained Epstein. “The hipster thing is so interesting too — if all the outsiders are hanging out together, are they really outsiders?”

The songs that Lipovetsky has written for the show cover a wide range of styles with varied influences: “There are songs that remind you of Rent, Book of Mormon, Avenue Q, and even Green Day,” said Epstein, adding, “You need to be able to have that range.” One of Epstein’s songs is “Dreams of Dubai” which he said has a Middle Eastern feel and is “an ode to Dubai.” The show also includes a “power modern musical ballad,” and plenty of rock inspired songs.

Epstein said he wanted to work on this project because Lipovetsky is someone special with great talent and a lot of potential. “It’s rare to work on a good new musical,” he said. In light of Lipovetsky’s success with Broken Sex Doll and his multiple recognitions, including his Jessie Award and Vancouver Mayor Arts Award, this is no surprise.

Although this show pokes fun at hipsters and coffee shop culture, Epstein says, “We’re having fun with it. The heart of the piece is about these people trying to find love. Anton has an amazing ability to write heart and humour. People will get attached to these characters, love the music, and laugh until they cry.” Sounds like the perfect combination to me.