SFSS hires new food and beverage services manager

0
531

Newcomer John Flipse looks to improve the sustainability of their services

By Alison Roach
Photos by Mark Burnham

The SFSS recently parted ways with former food and beverage service business manager John Laurin, hiring in his place a new John. John Flipse has worked in the service industry since the age of 16, and has been involved in service and management at various restaurants, chains, Vancouver hotels, and even a bar in Sydney, Australia.

A former SFU student himself, Flipse most recently worked in a catering management position for UBC, where he was offered a permanent position. However, he opted to come onboard as a non-unionized, contracted manager with the SFSS for the food and beverage services at the Burnaby campus, comprised of The Highland Pub, The Ladle, and Higher Grounds. In an interview with The Peak, Flipse stated that one aspect of the position that intrigued him is the potential for growth with the Build SFU project.

Flipse was put into the position mid-December, and spent the time before winter break observing how the service runs. He said, “They’ve got a food services operation that doesn’t seem to be functioning well, or not in the traditional sense of functioning.” He cites one example of a dishwasher part that The Highland had ordered, and had been waiting on for over a year. “I ordered it, it’s here. So now the guy in the dish pit doesn’t have to stand in a pool of water all day.”

Financial loss has been a continuous problem for the SFSS food and beverage services, with losses last year coming in at over $300,000. This is a concern that both Yeung and Flipse expressed the need to address. Said Flipse, “They don’t have to change things, it can run as is, and it’s been running for a long time. . . . But is it a sustainable business? Not in this current model.”

While SFSS president Lorenz Yeung emphasized that the split from former manager Laurin was amicable, he acknowledged that the relationship between the SFSS board and the food and beverage services was not well defined, and was causing difficulty.

Yeung stated, “Part of the process of changing the management was also formally establishing the relationship. We acknowledge that the board is not always entirely capable of managing the food and beverage service and that’s why we have management. We have to swallow our egos, swallow our pride.”

On the subject of Laurin, Flipse said: “I’ve heard some interesting stories. His reputation has preceded him in some cases, when I’m dealing with some people. What I hear is that it’s a nice change.”

During the hiring process, the board was impressed by Flipse’s outlook on the relationship between the board and the manager position, seeing it first and foremost as an advisory position. Flipse will be expected to liaise with the SFSS board and make recommendations based on his vast experience in the industry while still acknowledging that at the end of the day, the board is the boss. Flipse stated, “I don’t think they’ve ever been presented this information in a clear and understandable way . . . That’s why I’m here.” For the near future, Yeung and Flipse both expressed that all involved, including food and beverage service employees, are excited to see what the change in management and operation philosophy will bring.