University Briefs

0
448

By Graham Cook

Eduflation, the cost of learning

The average cost for a domestic student to study at a Canadian university for a year is $6,186, not factoring in the cost of books and living expenses. A recent study conducted by The Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives suggests that number could rise as high as $7,330 by the year 2016.  “Eduflation and the High Cost of Learning” showed that around half of youth from families in the top 25 per cent  of income distribution attended university by age 19, while less than one third of youth from the lower quarter did the same. The study also observes that in the last two decades, tuition and ancillary fees on average increased 6.2 per cent, while inflation was usually around 2.1 per cent.

With files from The Brunswickan

————————

PEI student loan interest eliminated

The government of Prince Edward Island has decided to do away with charging interest on provincial student loans in an attempt to make the post-secondary education more affordable.  PEI Premier Robert Ghiz made the announcement at Holland College that recipients of loans taken out as far back as 2001 no longer have to pay interest on the principle as of this month.  The reduction will apply to any student who has been a resident of PEI for the past 12 months.  The average student loan in the province is $20,000 for a four-year degree, and the change will, on average, save students about $1,000 annually. The new rate came into effect on Oct. 1.

With files from The CBC

————————

UBC chapter of Kappa Sigma shut down by national office

Effective Oct. 8, UBC’s chapter of the Kappa Sigma fraternity is no longer operating. Their charter was revoked by the national office of the fraternity for violations of the code of conduct.  Though Kappa Sigma executives have not commented on the details of the closure, they have confirmed that the fraternity was operating under sanctions from the international office. The chapter will be allotted 30 days to appeal the ruling, during which time they will not be allowed to operate as a fraternity. Kappa Sigma has existed at UBC since 1941.

With files from The Ubyssey

————————

Thompson Rivers support workers take job action

The support staff union of Thompson Rivers University, Canadian Union of Public Employees Local 4879, took to picket signs and chants on October 4, blocking university buildings. The union has apparently met with TRU administration 10 times in the past two and a half years, and is looking to obtain a contract to deal with concerns such as stagnant wages during inflation and job security. Unions across B.C. have been dealing with similar concerns, with SFU’s CUPE Local 3338 and TSSU both currently engaged in labour unrest. UNBC’s CUPE Local went as far as shutting down the entire campus by picketing the only entrance.

With files from The Omega

————————

McMaster student claiming police brutality speaks about experience

McMaster student Chantal Godin, who alleges that Niagara Police assaulted her during an Oct. 7 protest at Marineland, is sharing her story and considering taking legal action. Godin had jumped and mounted the fence of the park, a move which constituted trespassing, and was encouraging other protesters to enter when she was pulled off of the barricade by a female officer. Godin claims that she received bruises as a result of the fall and began arguing with the officer about her use of force. While she was being handled by the female officer, she alleges that a male officer approached her and shoved her twice, apparently making attempts to intimidate her.  Godin was then released and continued to protest off the property. She has stated that she is only planning legal action against the male officer.

With files from The Silhouette

————————