Backcountry education starts with us

Knowledge of the 10 essentials is crucial

0
17
A hiking trail beside large boulders in a dense forest.
PHOTO: Levi / Adobe Stock

By: Abigail Streifel, SFU Student

For many in BC, adventuring outdoors is practically second nature. A hike can be the perfect way to stay active while appreciating the natural beauty of Coast Salish lands. However, knowledge of the 10 essentials and trip planning is lacking in BC, despite education efforts being made by search and rescue organizations. Many of our pastimes are centred around the outdoors, yet we’re still not as informed as we could be. 

Overestimating your preparedness can land anyone in a dangerous position. In early September, three hikers were rescued from the North Shore mountains after spending the night outdoors. They were unprepared for their hike, having left too late in the day and taken a wrong turn. While the three were unharmed, the situation could have quickly become fatal. It also could have been prevented with knowledge of trip planning.

It can be deceptively easy for anyone to assume they’re prepared for a hike. Most are likely to bring water, a snack, and their phone — but wilderness safety isn’t that simple. In fact, there are 10 essentials that should always be packed in case of emergencies. Firstly, navigation: a physical map, a compass, and potentially a satellite GPS. Digital maps cannot always be relied on in unfamiliar areas, as has been demonstrated in recent years as BC hikers continually tried to follow a “non-existent trail” on Google Maps that led into steep mountainous terrain. As in the case of the three hikers, getting lost could lead to injury or death. The 10 essentials are called as such because they can be the difference between life and death if something goes wrong. While the list has grown in popularity, many are still either unaware or overlook its importance.

Essentials that people often overlook include a flashlight or headlamp (and batteries); matches or a lighter to start a fire; a knife; sun protection (sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat); and an emergency shelter such as a bivouac sack or tarp. Extra water, food, and clothing are also crucial in emergencies. Half a litre of water per hour is typically recommended during outdoor adventures. If you come home safely from a hike you were ill-prepared for, remember that being lucky doesn’t mean you were safe. BC saw 599 search and rescue calls this summer alone. Being able to keep yourself safe while you wait for a rescue is essential. Your injuries may not be life-threatening, but exposure to nighttime temperatures or dehydration could be. 

It doesn’t occur to everyone to pack each essential — even the most experienced hikers. For example, packing extra clothing may seem counterintuitive in warm weather — but conditions can change quickly and it’s always better to be over-prepared than under-prepared. Avalanche training should also be more prevalent for winter hiking. These courses teach people about precautions to take during the winter to prevent potentially deadly scenarios, like one that occurred in March. This is precisely why more education on trip preparedness is needed: people are not aware of how to stay safe. Widespread knowledge of the essentials can save lives, which is why it’s as important to educate our peers as ourselves. 

One collective way of keeping ourselves safe is by making and leaving trip plans. The trip plan you leave will be essential if you ever end up needing a rescue. A plan should include who is going, what supplies are packed, when the trip will begin and end, where and why it’s taking place, and how one is arriving at the location. This way, a trusted person is always aware of your whereabouts and can call if they think anything has gone wrong. 

Keeping ourselves and each other out of danger requires that we uphold a culture of safety. Self-education is always valuable, no matter your experience level. But we can all work to promote further knowledge of backcountry preparedness and create safer outdoor spaces.