My sexual awakening: the Fire Nation siblings

A hot and fiery discovery

0
838
A photo of a woman writing in a diary.
PHOTO: Pexels

By: Cynthia Piña, SFU Student

Readers, what I am about to tell you are the true chronicles of my heart-pounding love story. I was 13-years-old, and when season two Zuko (or Lee, from the tea shop) started growing his hair out, it made me feel something. The pouting, the angst, the peeks inside his inner humanity. I mean, who doesn’t love an edgy boi with a soft heart? His amber-coloured eyes made me melt

But you know who else made me melt? Azula. Her flirting was awful and adorable, and her hair and makeup were always on-point. Yes, maybe she would have eventually murdered me, but she just needed a little bit of love and I was burning to give it to her! I’m sure her mommy issues could have been aided with a strong and nurturing relationship! Just like how she smashed a pitiful volleyball into the ground, she smashed into my heart. I mean, who doesn’t love a girl who can speak her mind? No, I do not have “I can fix her” disease! Her beauty burned brightly, the apple of my eye — which has now made me deeply conflicted about my feelings towards Zuko. 

A banished prince comes with all kinds of spicy and forbidden love. His scar gives off mystery and his tragic backstory only paves the way for more character development in the future — I can see his potential to be my twin flame. He literally risked his whole identity for a girl, what’s more romantic than that? But if I had to live with Uncle Iroh . . . kind of a dealbreaker, ‘cause that man has probably committed war crimes. He may be a “sweet old man” now (I know, I know, “character development” or whatever), but don’t forget the Dragon of the West once tried to conquer Ba Sing Se!

Azula on the other hand, she has a sharp tongue and her nails are even sharper! She is the walking embodiment of gaslight, gatekeep, girlboss. Where will I ever find such a feisty partner? OK, maybe I am ignoring some red flags . . . but, my 13-year-old self, maybe you are allowed to overly idealize your fictional animated crushes! Why would I spend my time looking at immature tweens when I could be planning my date with the banished prince of the Fire Nation? After all, that’s the entire premise of fanfiction, and unrealistic 13-year-olds have sustained AO3 (or, if you were truly depraved, fanfiction.com) since 2008! #zuko x reader #angst #drama #uncle iroh moves out