University Briefs

0
486

Briefs

By Kristina Charania

Ecuador volcano kills U of C student

On June 2, University of Calgary chemical engineering student Danielle Kendall was hit by a car-sized block of ice while scaling the Cotopaxi stratovolcano in Ecuador with a group of climbers. The 22 year old was set to graduate with her degree this week and was also part of the University of Calgary’s track and field team — where she had won several awards in national competitions. The @UofCTrack Twitter account posted their condolences after the incident, saying that “The [track] team needs each other now more than ever as we mourn the loss of one of our own. Thoughts and prayers to her family and friends.”

With files from  CBC News

U of S College of Medicine accreditation further postponed

Though Saskatchewan’s single medical school, the University of Saskatchewan, is currently accredited, it has been on probation since July 2011, and The Committee on Accreditation of Canadian Medical Schools isn’t planning to change that in the near future. At the beginning of their probation, The College of Medicine was found deficient in 10 different areas including delayed responses from professors to students, insufficient space and lockers at the Regina location, and difficulties with standardizing classroom material and grading goals. A lack of significant improvement in these areas will result in prolonged probation, with the possibility of a cleared status in October 2013 at the earliest.

With files from  Global News BC

Report suggests ways that Canadian research can boost economy

In a new C.D. Howe Institute report, author Peter Howitt notes that Canadian universities’ flow of new technology from researchers to corporate businesses pales in comparison to the system in the United States. He suggested several workable solutions including pushing the National Research Council to eventually become a cross Canada technology transmission institute, keeping research papers on accessible online databases and providing details on commercialization to scientists. The end goal, he noted, “is to create first-rate universities where first-rate scientists can pursue research that appeals to their curiosity, and encourage business to invest in commercializing their discoveries.”

With files from  The Wall Street Journal

Stopping Atlantic provinces’ brain drain may revitalize aging workforce

New findings in a study conducted by the four East coast premiers and the Association of Atlantic Universities show 35 per cent of international students surveyed were not interested in staying in Canada because of fewer work opportunities, while 21 per cent wished to stay closer to their overseas families. Atlantic universities tend to heavily target potential students from Brazil, Africa, the Middle East, and Asia. Recruits noted that Canada is a good place to complete post-secondary education because the universities are secure and safe. Retaining these students after graduation would help create both a flourishing workforce and a revitalized economy.

With files from  The Globe and Mail