Clan struggles continue

0
437

SFU loses twice with season winding down

By Bryan Scott

The Simon Fraser men’s basketball team were in tough last week but played two beatable teams who both have losing records on the year. They battled hard in their first game losing a close game to the Northwest Nazarene Crusaders. The second game was a forgettable one against the Western Oregon Wolves, who chewed up the Clan.

SFU kept things close for most of the first half of the game versus NNU, but things slowly fell apart after the 13-minute mark of the half. The Clan led 24–23 when everything came unglued, NNU went on a 20–2 run to end the half, and trailed 43–26. Anto Olah chipped in nine points for SFU in the first.

Like they so often do, SFU waited until late in the game to mount a comeback. With time running out, Dillon Hamilton nailed a shot from beyond the arc to bring the Crusader lead to only two. That is as close as they would get, losing the game 81–75. Olah finished the game with 20 points and four rebounds to lead SFU.

After the disappointing loss, SFU returned home to start their final home stand of the season. Despite the fact they have no postseason hopes; finishing the season on a winning note is important for next years confidence.

The Clan will be chalking this one up in the experience column as they were absolutely owned by the WOU Wolves. This game wasn’t even close from the get-go as the Wolves dominated every aspect of the court. In the first half alone, WOU outscored SFU 18–4 in the paint, were 10–1 on second chance points, and 16–0 off the bench. This led to a 23 point lead for Western Oregon at halftime.

The second half was much of the same; SFU could not hold a candle to WOU. The Clan were outscored 43–31 in the second half, and lost the game 89–54. They had one last game to end on a winning note which took place last Saturday. Check the results at athletics.sfu.ca.