Canvas chosen to replace WebCT

0
460

Decision described as ‘bold’ by communication prof

By Graham Cook

Following a lengthy decision-making process, the IT Strategies Committee at Simon Fraser University has selected a new Learning Management System to replace WebCT. Canvas, an open source program, was approved by the Board of Governors and will be gradually introduced over the coming years, with a full transition planned for 2014.

In a message sent out to SFU students, vice-president academic, Jon Driver stated that he was “very pleased with the selection of Canvas, and emphasize[d] that community consultation has been at the core of the election process . . . the decision comprehensively reflects the input gathered from the entire SFU academic community.”

Martin Laba, a professor in communication at SFU and the leader of the consultation phase of the project, spoke to The Peak about the selection, saying that “the best way to put this is that Canvas rose above the competition.” He stated, “I don’t know of any students who have had thrilling experiences on WebCT, and it’s a system that is clearly past its prime, hence it’s disappearing . . . perhaps it was never used up to its potential.” Of Canvas, he said that “the key of this system is that it’s open source, it’s not locked down in any way . . . ultimately students are going to find this much more engaging.”

Laba went on to state that the program will be hosted entirely “in-house” at SFU. The IT department will provide the foundational support. He said that he feels those instructors who use WebCT or an alternative form of online teaching, or have never used a Learning Management System, will be inspired to use Canvas due to its simplicity and intuitiveness.

Martin Laba praised the new Canvas system for its form and function saying, “there is a look and feel and function about it that is not unlike social media . . . and students will be able to customize their experience as well.”  He added that others see things the same way, “when we ran tests, students and professors alike said . . . ‘this is very appealing, very easy to use,’ and were attracted to it.  So, I think we’re going to see a range of adoption . . . ultimately, I see this as infinitely more than a piece of technology.”

“It not only meets the standards but it exceeds those standards, it moves well beyond what we have known at this institution as a Learning Management System . . . I don’t see any disadvantages at all . . . it shows only advantages to teaching and learning and to course management and development,” said Laba of how Canvas compares to its predecessor.

He added that it has “everything from basic print materials, to multimedia integration, to mobile friendliness . . . those are key issues and I’ve emphasized all along, that a LMS has to meet students at least halfway on their own cultural ground, and that cultural ground is a digital ground.”

Laba concluded by emphasizing that he felt the choice of Canvas was a very bold one. With its ability to work on mobile phones and be customized by its users, he asserted that it will revolutionize the way people feel about Learning Management Systems at the school. Canvas will be rolled out on a gradual, voluntary basis, with the ultimate goal of having it fully implemented for January 2014.