Fun and flavour are homegrown at the Trout Lake Farmers Market

Find farm-fresh fruit without having to grow your own

0
1009
Crowded stalls surrounded by people and trees carrying various tiny trinkets and produce. A chalkboard sign reads “welcome back!” in pastel blue.
PHOTO: Courtesy of Kaishin Chu / Vancouver Farmers Markets

By: Yasmin Hassan, Staff Writer

On a Saturday at 11:30 a.m., I found myself following the scent of food trucks and fresh herbs. As I walked, I took in the sun-dried night’s dew while listening to Minnie Riperton’s “Les Fleurs.” I decided to spend my day at the Trout Lake Farmers Market, located in the inviting John Hendry Park. Surrounded by lush, shading forest and the lake itself, this market is a temporary abode for all kinds of vendors of cuisine and fresh produce. Come along with me as I tell you of my weekend venture and the treasures I found along the way.

It seemed like the entire neighborhood had come out to marvel at the beautiful vegetables, herbs, and flowers. Everything was vibrant and crisp — every rhubarb stalk shone bright red, every pea shoot greened its finest green, and every kernel of corn beamed gold. Almost all of the stands had a large selection of leafy greens like cabbage, kale, and fresh herbs; you name it, it was most likely there.

I had been on the hunt for some lacinato kale, and I hadn’t been able to find it anywhere in stores. But lo and behold, there it lay in front of me, succulent as ever with its milder taste. My friend, who comes with me on all my adventures, bought me a bouquet of darling marigolds from Warmerdam Flowers. Since it’s summer, berries are ripe for picking. You’ll find quite a few vendors with their own selection of cherries, blueberries, champagne currants, and more. I ended up grabbing a basket of blueberries which looked too good to pass up on (the darker and bluer the berry, the sweeter it is). I was looking around when some kirby cucumbers caught my eye and I couldn’t contain my excitement. I used to visit my aunt’s farm in Russia, where she grew everything herself, from cucumbers to tomatoes. Seeing those swirly and prickly cucumbers reminded me of summers spent there, when I used to eat those very vegetables lightly dressed in salt to add to their naturally crunchy texture. 

“Everything was vibrant and crisp — every rhubarb stalk shone bright red, every pea shoot greened its finest green, and every kernel of corn beamed gold.”

As we walked, I flagged down the food truck lane and knew that was where the heat was. We started off with appetizers from Bali Bites, an Indonesian food truck. We got the chicken saté skewers covered in rich homestyle peanut sauce, and an Es Cendol, which is a creamy coconut milk beverage with pandan jelly. The skewers were juicy and tender, while the drink tasted like the best part of eating a bowl of cereal — the sweet milk at the end. We then decided to get the “So Gouda” from Mom’s Grilled Cheese Truck. Every bite of that sweet and savoury sandwich filled with caramelized apples, eggplant jam, and gouda, was heavenly. We finished off our culinary delights with a spicy Jamaican patty from Morgan’s Harbour

The great thing about local produce is that you know it’s grown here at home, and you’re supporting the local economy and community. Another thing that’s great about farmer’s markets are the fair and prices. If it seems like you’re paying a bit more than you would at the store, remember that you’re buying quality products grown on smaller farms. The vendors who were there to answer our questions weren’t pushy with their products because they knew how amazing they are. 

As much as I could yap on and on about the amazing day I had, don’t take my word for it, try it for yourself! They’re open from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. every Saturday until October 26, so wake up early if you can!