“Helpful” advice to get you through midterm season

0
494
Illustrated by Irene Lo

Written by: Jennifer Low

It’s that horrible time of year again: midterm season. Students like you once again bury themselves beneath mountains of notes and retreat into the depths of the library, hunting for the perfect spot to study, and each one dreading the sight of the Scantron sheet that signals their slow three-hour death.

It is in these moments that you wish you had some helpful advice or a mantra to keep you sane. The last thing you want in your inspirational mantra is more lies. Honesty is the best policy. Fear not, poor students, because The Peak has got you covered.

• You are enough . . . for now

Each of you little snowflakes are perfect just the way you are. But of course, if university philosophy has taught us anything, it is that we are always in the process of becoming. So in times of hardship, remember you are the best person you can be . . . at the moment. You could be better, but for now you are . . . OK.

• If at first you don’t succeed, RELAX or you will probably fail again

This is something to keep in mind during tests.If you don’t succeed on your first midterm, chances are you’re going to mess up the next one too if you don’t “let it go.”

• The journey of a thousand miles begins after you decide to actually get out of bed

Just some motivation to make sure you stick to your schedule and don’t get too distracted. When all hope seems lost and procrastination has taken over your life, it’s important to remind yourself that you actually have to drag your lazy butt off the mattress and park it at your desk if you’re going to try to get any work done today. Some work done is better than no work done, even if the only thing you’ve written on your 1000-word essay is your name. 

• Go in there and give up

It’s 4 a.m. and you can’t study anymore. At this point even showing up to the exam room would be an accomplishment. Treat it as such! It’s not worth the overstressing anymore. Just go in there, regurgitate any information you’ve absorbed and leave knowing that you gave up. You won’t spend hours obsessing over whether you did well or not, because you won’t care.

• You will only stop failing when you succeed

Just stating the obvious. The key to success is to simply not fail.

• You don’t got this

What you do got is improper grammar. If your grammar is as bad as it is in this inspirational quote, then you better take a long look at your life choices and proceed to do absolutely nothing to fix it.