Album Reviews

0
627

Savvie – Night Eyes

Savvie is a Vancouver band lead by Savannah Leigh   Wellman (previously of Redbird). They’re as musically together live as they are on the recording, a tell-tale sign of talented artists. Featuring Wellman’s powerful, sultry voice that can just toe the line of the hard-rock-rasp, Savvie delivers top quality rock with catchy pop hooks.

This album is seductive, a little bit brooding, and impressively melodic. Powerful guitar blends with tight bass riffs to give a very rhythmic product. If you need a little something to play loudly during some amorous adventures — so as not to disturb roommates — look no further.

“I Fall Again” is a favourite with its groovy licks and feel-good beats. It’s perfect for impromptu kitchen dance-offs or long bus rides to school. “Where We Wanna Be” is a slow-burn that practically begs you to soulfully rock your head to it.

“The Tower” is a marathon ending to Savvie’s debut, clocking in at just under 10 and a half minutes. It brings this CD and this period in Savvie’s musicality to a close by persuading you to throw off the chains of nostalgia and have faith in yourself: “Looking to the heavens for a purpose when all that you need, you already know.”

The Young Rising Sons – The Kids Will Be Fine

Young Rising Sons is an indie pop-rock band from Red Bank, New Jersey. This is their second EP following the success of their self-titled release in 2014. The catchy lyrics will have you singing along your first listen-through, but the talent and the infectious optimism will have you hitting replay time and again.

Soulful vocals by Andy Tongren, brilliantly constructed guitar lines from Dylan Scott, groovy bass via Julian Dimagiba, and toe-tapping drum riffs from Steve Patrick all merge together to create awesome, uplifting music for every occasion.

Despite its sad basis — “So tell me who burned you with their cigarette” — “Fucked Up” is catchy and boasts that love isn’t conditional. “You’re so fucked up and I love it. You’re so obtuse, but I love you anyway,” it croons. Singing along to the bridge makes you feel badass, something everyone needs sometimes.

Emotional ballad-like tones introduce “Flesh and Bone” before it builds into a resounding chorus about our mortality. But that it’s okay, the song seems to say, because you strive for as much as you can, and sometimes you crash and burn. “The future’s ours to own,” no matter what happens.

“Ghost of Me” screams ‘I’m a conqueror’ at your haters and leans more to the indie-pop side of their sound. It’s one to belt while driving in the rain. “Somebody” is melodic and brilliantly showcases Tongren’s vocal range. It almost gets a little bluesy, too.

All in all, it’s an excellent EP to blast any time, as loud as you can crank it.