Sea Sick is a cautionary tale that is all too real

0
411
Photo courtesy of Chloe Ellingson

Alanna Mitchell is a journalist who discovered that the big story behind climate change can be found in the world’s oceans. Based on her book of the same name, this powerful piece of theatre shows us what is happening to our oceans, and how this tells us about the dangers that our planet facea.

Spurred by an insatiable curiosity, Mitchell began a quest to find out what was happening to the world’s oceans. She followed renowned scientists on their research expeditions whenever they would let her tag along. She has always been inspired by Charles Darwin, who was an important figure in her household headed by her father, a biologist, and mother, a painter. Mitchell said her parents’ careers taught her that “science gives us knowledge, but art gives us meaning.”

Her personal tale of scientific discovery is bold and brave — she admitted that she is not an actor, and never thought she would find herself on stage at an arts festival. She shared intimate stories from her childhood and her journeys to some of the most remote areas of our oceans. She described the water, which has been deoxidized, acidified, and warmed by excess CO2, as “warm, breathless, and sour.”

Alana Mitchell in Sea Sick 1.jpg
Photo courtesy of Chloe Elllingson.

Using a large chalkboard to draw a few diagrams, she explained what pH means, and how a small change in that number translates into a huge change in the ocean’s chemistry and ability to support life. To demonstrate, she dropped a piece of chalk into a pitcher of vinegar. In a matter of seconds, the chalk dissolved. Mitchell explained that this is the effect that ocean acidification has on sea shells and the bones of all marine animals.

Mitchell shared the heartbreaking story of her trip to see a coral spawning event, but only half of the corals actually released their reproductive materials into the water. The warmer water caused them to die off in vast quantities, and they are unable to properly reproduce.

Realizing that we are setting ourselves up for the next mass extinction, Mitchell fell into a deep depression. As she pulled herself out of bed to check her email one morning, she recieved a reply to her request from three years earlier to join an expedition travelling 3000 feet below the surface of the ocean in a submersible. She described this journey as a very transformative one, and ended the show with her idea that forgiveness is the key to being able to move forward and take action on this issue.

This is a brave, bold, and necessary show that I hope has a chance to reach many more people. We need to hear it for our own good.

Sea Sick was presented as part of the PuSh International Performing Arts Festival February 3 and 4 at the Roundhouse Community Centre. For more information, visit alannamitchell.com.