Board Shorts

0
469

Turn down for naps

Build SFU general manager Marc Fontaine brought forward the option of including a napping room in the new Student Union Building (SUB). He said, “There are positive implications in terms of mental health and creating spaces that are comfortable for people.”

The change in the floor plan would result in a decrease in the number of student organization suites from eight to seven; the number of larger suites would remain the same, while the number of smaller suites would decrease from four to three.

At large representative Pearce spoke in favour of the motion, citing student responses to the Build SFU survey that ranked napping space 5th in student preferences.

The board approved the modification to the SUB space program.

Fall Kickoff budget approved

Board voted to approve the 2014 Fall Kickoff budget as recommended by Financial and Administrative Services Committee (FASC).

The motion moved to increase the large scale events line item by $25,000 in order to cover expenses such as artists, production, and marketing. The motion also allowed the disbursement of up to $80,000 for the 2014 Fall Kickoff Concert, which will act as a sort of price cap.

The budget provided $500 for child care funding, as well as $100 for the net loss of the event. VP finance Adam Potvin was also tasked with disbursement authority for requests under $500.

Interfund transfer – Space Expansion Fund

Board voted to transfer $1 million from the General Fund to the Space Expansion Fund as a partial repayment of the outstanding $2.44 million interfund loan. The money will later be transferred to Build SFU.

VP finance Adam Potvin explained that the decision would help Build SFU to obtain loans because having a larger amount of funds would strengthen their equity position.

Build SFU stadium investigation

At large representative Rebecca Langmead was tasked to work with Build SFU general manager on a preliminary stadium investigation. 

Fellow at large representative Jeremy Pearce was previously tasked to work on the same investigation. Both Langmead and Pearce have been involved with SFU athletics as varsity athletes.