University Briefs

0
487

By Alison Roach

Wordless storybooks expose toddlers to richer language

Researchers at the University of Waterloo have recently found that children hear more complex language from their parents when they are read a storybook with only pictures, compared to a book with pictures and vocabulary. The findings, which were published in the latest issue of the journal First Language, showed that mothers especially would use more complex sentences and language while reading a book with only pictures as opposed to a book with its own built-in narrative. “These findings show that reading pictures books with kids exposes them to the kind of talk that is really important for children to hear,” said study author Professor Daniela O’Neill.

With files from University of Waterloo Communication & Public Affairs

U of T honours gay-straight alliances

Late last month, 220 advocates of sexual diverstiy education gathered for the first annual Bonham Centre Awards Gala at the University of Toronto’s University College. The gala honoured University College alumnus Stephen Lewis, a longtime HIV/AIDS crusader; Bent on Change, a gay-straight alliance group; and best-selling author Dan Savage, the co-founder of the It Gets Better campaign, a project to help prevent suicide among LGBT youth. Of the inaugural event, Bonham Centre founding director Professor David Rayside commented, “Now more than ever, we want to help our students and the broader community understand what genuine inclusivity means.”

With files from University of Toronto News

Saying no to salt

The University of Saskatchewan department of food and bioproduct sciences has launched an attempt to lower Canadians’ salt consumption by aiming at its two biggest sources: bread and processed meats. A research team is currently working with industry to reduce the amount of salt used in making bread and baked goods, problematic because reducing it can result in sticky dough that doesn’t work well with equipement. Another team is targeting salt in meats, made difficult because salt is used to preserve meats and create texture. Health Canada has announced that salt intake must come down by 2016.

With files from the University of Saskatchewan News Releases

UVic recognized for top scientific performance

The University of Victoria has been placed in the top one per cent of universities in the world for its scientific impact and its involvement in scientific collaboration, according to the Leiden University’s Centre for Science and Technology rankings. The prestigious rankings measured the scientific performance of 500 major universities worldwide. UVic is the top-ranked Canadian university without a medical school, and the fifth overall in the country. The university also had the highest ranking in Canada for international collaboration.

With files from University of  Victoria Campus News